Gutter Gulvert, Reading 2020

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riskybex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gutter Culvert, Reading 2020

Situated underneath Kentwood Hill and Rodway Road.

This is a location I have been wanting to check out for sometime.

We decided one night to go for it and explore it as we couldn't find any photographic evidence of what the culvert is like, knowing that Vastern Ditch turned out to be a nice Victorian vaulted culvert I have always wondered what this would would be like.

Turns out after jumping down into the culvert it is not as nice as other local ones I have done in the past, mostly modern and unusual shaped, some sections you can walk through while others you can not.

The floods of March 1947, brought about by a combination of heavy rain and melting snow running off the deeply frozen ground.

As a warning of what was to come for other areas of Reading, about six properties at the bottom of Kentwood Hill, Tilehurst were flooded over the night of 12 and 13 March.

However, this was not caused by water from the Thames but a small stream that burst its banks.

Although much of Tilehurst is now built up now, it is full of hidden watercourses with many underground streams that still run through it, hidden in culverts but which occasionally emerge. The course of these streams can be seen in old maps showing Artesian wells and some are still visible.

FB_IMG_1668582874092.jpg

FB_IMG_1668582867078.jpg

FB_IMG_1668582489199.jpg

FB_IMG_1668582842928.jpg

We decided one night to go for it and explore it as we couldn't find any photographic evidence of what the culvert is like, knowing that Vastern Ditch turned out to be a nice Victorian vaulted culvert I have always wondered what this would would be like.

Turns out after jumping down into the culvert it is not as nice as other local ones I have done in the past, mostly modern and unusual shaped, some sections you can walk through while others you can not.

The floods of March 1947, brought about by a combination of heavy rain and melting snow running off the deeply frozen ground.

As a warning of what was to come for other areas of Reading, about six properties at the bottom of Kentwood Hill, Tilehurst were flooded over the night of 12 and 13 March.

However, this was not caused by water from the Thames but a small stream that burst its banks.

Although much of Tilehurst is now built up now, it is full of hidden watercourses with many underground streams that still run through it, hidden in culverts but which occasionally emerge. The course of these streams can be seen in old maps showing Artesian wells and some are still visible.

View attachment 519945
View attachment 519946

View attachment 519945
View attachment 519946
View attachment 519947
View attachment 519948
Still an enjoyable explore though I’m sure. If we didn’t have the stoopy modern stuff we might not appreciate the nice sized older stuff quite so much. 😁

Back