Her Majesties Prison Shrewsbury - September 2016 (Pic heavy... sorry!)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabulous report sir. Been a fan of your output for a while - you are most skilled in the weilding of a camera. I actually think being limited to 35mm has made this report.

I felt somewhat meh and dissapointed at some of my images from here and seeing this report has made me decide to pay a return visit to try and come back with more half decent pics.

Well done sir.

Permission visit or not, it's a cracker, and well worth it in my view. Top man!

I also noticed the Porridge style details.

The BBC weren't allowed to use an actual prison so they had to build a set at Ealing Studios for the block areas using an empty watertank under the floor of a sound stage to get enough depth. The exteriors used the former St Albans jail, by then a council depot.

Also an undisclosed mental hospital was used, which had to be changed after the relatives of a patient complained after they recognised it on TV & was worried it would give the impression it was an actual prison!

For the film a wing of Maidstone prison was used, as it had been damaged in a fire being refurbished at the time.

For the 1979 film of Porridge they used HMP Chelmsford as it was closed for 3 months after a wing had been on fire and the place was being refurbished HMP Pentonville was used for shots in the titles for the tv series

Back