Hi New Here Looking for People To explore with

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelslikezoom86

Reaction score
Hey....

I'm New here, 37 year old male from West Yorkshire In between Leeds and Huddersfield. Never explored places before and don't have any equipment but don't worry that can be sorted out beforehand, looking to meet or go on adventures with people that's new to this or old people that's been and done it before with any males or females that's interested. Happy to explore anything from houses, buildings, tunnels and everything in between. I came across this site from a google search after watching others do this via video's that i watch on YouTube.

If anyone is interested and wants to talk more just message me or i can give you my contact details like e-mail or socials

Thanks
Stephen.

Hi welcome along. If you look through the site you will find posts on what you need to take but in truth you can get away with some sturdy boot old clothes and a phone. You will not find videos on here to watch although there is a section. People are asked to post photos of where they have been. YouTube has killed a lot of exploring IMO and I rarely watch any videos posted on here or YouTube.
You need to find someone from where you come from and get in contact via PM do not ask how to get access on here you will draw a blank. Hopefull some one will take you under their are but there is no reason you cannot find places on your own to visit. Google is your friend check it out and look at maps as well. Good luck

Welcome along, you are in a good area for it up there.
Best to start off on your own with "safe" stuff, maybe old military or railway tunnels, build up a bit of confidence & post some reports, people maybe inclined to meet up then.

Hey....

I'm New here, 37 year old male from West Yorkshire In between Leeds and Huddersfield. Never explored places before and don't have any equipment but don't worry that can be sorted out beforehand, looking to meet or go on adventures with people that's new to this or old people that's been and done it before with any males or females that's interested. Happy to explore anything from houses, buildings, tunnels and everything in between. I came across this site from a google search after watching others do this via video's that i watch on YouTube.

If anyone is interested and wants to talk more just message me or i can give you my contact details like e-mail or socials

Thanks
Stephen.
Hiya Stephen, myself I’m an Empath but my friend isn’t, but I’m looking for someone who knows where there are places for urban exploration so I’m ready and willing just let me know, thanks Elaine x

It should be obvious, and it probably is, but as a mother with a son your age[although he's old in the ways of exploring], I'm going to be boring about safety. Make sure someone knows where you are and what your intentions are, in case you run into difficulties and need the fuzz to rescue you. Make sure your phone is charged and easy to reach - not a safety luxury we had in my young days - make sure your tetanus shots are up to date, the disease can hang around in earth and rust for decades - carry a small first aid kit with alcohol wipes, antihistamine, band aid and a tourniquet, I do know someone who has gone through a floor and used a scarf as a tourniquet and were glad of it. Never assume that if someone else has been somewhere that it is still safe. Good boots and a coil of rope never go amiss; gardening gloves allow you to feel but are some protection if climbing anywhere. Or if you want to go posh, climber's gloves. I'm inclined to a hardish hat, but I'm a bit paranoid. But the main thing, is someone to know where you are going and have set times to call in to say you are ok. Have fun!

It should be obvious, and it probably is, but as a mother with a son your age[although he's old in the ways of exploring], I'm going to be boring about safety. Make sure someone knows where you are and what your intentions are, in case you run into difficulties and need the fuzz to rescue you. Make sure your phone is charged and easy to reach - not a safety luxury we had in my young days - make sure your tetanus shots are up to date, the disease can hang around in earth and rust for decades - carry a small first aid kit with alcohol wipes, antihistamine, band aid and a tourniquet, I do know someone who has gone through a floor and used a scarf as a tourniquet and were glad of it. Never assume that if someone else has been somewhere that it is still safe. Good boots and a coil of rope never go amiss; gardening gloves allow you to feel but are some protection if climbing anywhere. Or if you want to go posh, climber's gloves. I'm inclined to a hardish hat, but I'm a bit paranoid. But the main thing, is someone to know where you are going and have set times to call in to say you are ok. Have fun!
I definitely agree about an up-to-date anti-tetanus jab. When I worked with horses, it was impressed on me to have the anti-tet. Cutting oneself on barbed wire and then scraping the wound on anything in a field could pick it up; or falling off a horse and grazing an arm or leg could do the same thing. I used to be gung-ho about going around bare-headed, but then I read of a surveyor on a flat roof who banged his head on some steel structure he did not see; it made him dizzy, and fell off the roof and was killed by the drop. You did not mention lights. Today the LED head torches and hand held torches are so compact that there is no excuse not to use them, and carry spares - as well as plenty of spare batteries. When a miner took me underground in Cornwall, it was in the days of the lead acid batteries with the heavy cable going from the battery on one's belt to the lamp on the helmet. And carry a largish sharp knife; it can come in handy. If going underground where one could get lost, a reel of thin cord unreeled along the route in could be useful for finding one's way out again.

Sorry, I thought lights too obvious to mention, as well as a blade. Nice idea about the cord. A finer blade for cutting out foreign bodies can be handy too.
I'm from Suffolk, where tetanus is in the ground almost everywhere, so I think of it. And that story makes me feel less bad about being paranoid over head protection. Oh! and plenty of water. Getting dehydrated is not good, and if you get a bit stuck and take longer to get out than you anticipated, it might be a lifesaver. can wash wounds with it as well. And a mars bar in your first aid kit for rapid sugar for shock or again, if you get stuck anywhere.

Sorry, I thought lights too obvious to mention, as well as a blade. Nice idea about the cord. A finer blade for cutting out foreign bodies can be handy too.
I'm from Suffolk, where tetanus is in the ground almost everywhere, so I think of it. And that story makes me feel less bad about being paranoid over head protection. Oh! and plenty of water. Getting dehydrated is not good, and if you get a bit stuck and take longer to get out than you anticipated, it might be a lifesaver. can wash wounds with it as well. And a mars bar in your first aid kit for rapid sugar for shock or again, if you get stuck anywhere.
Mars bar? Perhaps glucose tablets, for the same reason. And yes - water. In the past I have tended to be a bit of a camel - thinking it macho to go for hours without a drink or food. Result: a headache or worse.

Mars bar? Perhaps glucose tablets, for the same reason. And yes - water. In the past I have tended to be a bit of a camel - thinking it macho to go for hours without a drink or food. Result: a headache or worse.
I'm susceptible to dehydration, so I sympathise.... but it isn't macho. I now have to think of regular meals for a diabetic husband.... they used to carry mars bars when he was in the T.A. which is why that came to mind. I'd suggest Marathon, which was a meal in itself for having nuts as well, but not under a stupid brand name like 'Snickers' as it is these days. [though I am less against it now, having just found out the name was to commemmorate a pet horse. I can get behind that.] Trail mix, dried apricots, chocolate peanuts... all good. I knew a GirlGuide once who used frosties, only she used to eat all of them in the first half hour of hiking, was as high as a kite on sugar, ran about like a labrador puppy, and then crashed 3/4 of the way through the hike. Everything in moderation and paced out works better....

I'm susceptible to dehydration, so I sympathise.... but it isn't macho. I now have to think of regular meals for a diabetic husband.... they used to carry mars bars when he was in the T.A. which is why that came to mind. I'd suggest Marathon, which was a meal in itself for having nuts as well, but not under a stupid brand name like 'Snickers' as it is these days. [though I am less against it now, having just found out the name was to commemmorate a pet horse. I can get behind that.] Trail mix, dried apricots, chocolate peanuts... all good. I knew a GirlGuide once who used frosties, only she used to eat all of them in the first half hour of hiking, was as high as a kite on sugar, ran about like a labrador puppy, and then crashed 3/4 of the way through the hike. Everything in moderation and paced out works better....
And pemmican is a compact endurance food used by polar explorers, armed forces, etc. Ideal for underground explorers.

And pemmican is a compact endurance food used by polar explorers, armed forces, etc. Ideal for underground explorers.
... or as I'd call it, corned beef butties.

to be honest, it may be paranoid, but carrying a fold up insulation blanket isn't such a daft idea either; even in midsummer, because it can get cold underground, but also, in case of injury to help with shock. Spare socks in case you get yours wet. I've heard a tale of an SAS man, and they are NOT wimps, who got wet out on the moors in August, and decided he was a big strong man and could push on. He died of pneumonia.

to be honest, it may be paranoid, but carrying a fold up insulation blanket isn't such a daft idea either; even in midsummer, because it can get cold underground, but also, in case of injury to help with shock. Spare socks in case you get yours wet. I've heard a tale of an SAS man, and they are NOT wimps, who got wet out on the moors in August, and decided he was a big strong man and could push on. He died of pneumonia.
Yes again - as part of the first aid kit I carry in my car is one of those aluminium foil insulation sheets; not that I have ever had need to use it. As for spare socks - keep the extemities - head, hands and feet warm and dry.

... or as I'd call it, corned beef butties.
Only a horse "snickers" . . .

Yes again - as part of the first aid kit I carry in my car is one of those aluminium foil insulation sheets; not that I have ever had need to use it. As for spare socks - keep the extemities - head, hands and feet warm and dry.
I think we just more or less wrote the derelict explorer's safety handbook between us....

Thanks for all the reply’s and sorry for the late reply back I was away in New York for my cousins wedding plus I wasent expecting anyone to actually reply much appreciated, sounds like different people take different things with them I guess each to there own on preference but good to know the basic stuff of safety and hygiene etc.

Elaine - I have private messaged you and hope to chat when you are free!

Thanks for all the reply’s and sorry for the late reply back I was away in New York for my cousins wedding plus I wasent expecting anyone to actually reply much appreciated, sounds like different people take different things with them I guess each to there own on preference but good to know the basic stuff of safety and hygiene etc.

Elaine - I have private messaged you and hope to chat when you are free!
welcome! have fun, and be safe!

Back