Highwood Hospital - Brentwood - Dec 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelly

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I went out with the brilliant Skeleton Key to Highwood hospital in Brentwood today to learn the ropes and the in's and out's of this game literally!!!

Brief History

This hospitals was designed by Charles and William Henman For the Metropolitan Asylums board,who at the times,scope of care had widened to cater for London's poor and sick children who were suffering from contagious diseases of many types.

It was completed 1904 and consisted of what was called 5 cottage wards arranged around two greens,on its 28 acre site

There where also two schools.So as to cater for children of different ages, to ensure that they didn't miss out on their education .

There were also various administration buildings & staff houses..

Throughout its history it has mainly provided care for children apart from the first and second world wars,when it was used by the War Office as all the children and staff were evacuated to escape the bombing

In its later days different parts were used in various roles .

For more history, see http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?MAB-HighWood/MAB-HighWood.shtml (The 12th photo down on this site shows what is now the Xray block, this is the building that we entered today)

Modern day

The Hospital site had been made a conservation area in 2001.

Due to new facilities being opened in the area it was penciled in for closure

A portion of the site has already been redevelop it at a cost of £2.5m and now serves as the Brentwood resources center, to house mental health services, a Day Centre, a dementia clinic and therapy services for adults and the elderly.

The Hedgerows Nursing Home and Highwood Surgery, housed in three on-site bungalows, will stay.

The remaining 17 acres of the site was closed in 2009 and was sold to Bellway Homes ,

Who plan to build over 200 homes.

113 of the homes are to be built on the north end of the site and at the southern end 35 homes & 69 flats converted from existing Victorian buildings Work is due to start early 2011.

http://www.publicpropertyuk.com/2010/06/02/bellway-buys-brentwood-hospital-sites/

The Xray Block and our target for today!!
SSL27481.jpg

The Old main enterance
SSL27498.jpg

SSL27483.jpg

SSL27341.jpg

SSL27376.jpg

SSL27391.jpg

SSL27393.jpg

SSL27394.jpg

SSL27397.jpg

SSL27399.jpg

SSL27407.jpg

SSL27408.jpg

SSL27410.jpg

This was strange as there was no sign of vandalism on the inside, maybe one of the nurses had a SOH
SSL27411.jpg

SSL27414.jpg

SSL27418.jpg

SSL27420.jpg

SSL27424.jpg

SSL27428.jpg

SSL27434.jpg

SSL27439.jpg

SSL27451.jpg

SSL27452.jpg

SSL27453.jpg

SSL27456.jpg

Thanks for looking and a massive thanks to Skeleton Key :)

NellyBanner2.jpg

Last edited:
Good explore

Nelly1967
I dont realy know where to start!
Great meeting you in person & lots more to come.
What a location.Un chaved,lots of personel items.
Its history and structure speaks for its self.
A large site.of which we covered so little,but was so glad to see what we did.
As for nelly,explored like a Vet & kept a smile on my face throughout.
Came prepared & with an enthusiasm that that surpassed my own LOL.
Anyway heres my contribution to todays explore.

The main gate

Image032.png

The Admin building

Image031.png

The maintienance dept.

Image000-4.jpg

The old furnace

Image003-4.jpg

A general sweep from here on in.

Image029.png

Image014-3.jpg

Image013-3.jpg

Image008-3.jpg

Image004-3.jpg

Image019-4.jpg

Image025-1.png

Image016-3.jpg

Image010-2.jpg

Image005-3.jpg

Image015-3.jpg

Image018-4.jpg

Image021-3.png

Image022-2.png

Image026-2.png

Image009-3.jpg

Image011-2.jpg

Sorry pic heavy,but what the hell
Thanks 4 looking in
SK & nelly
:)

Great to have u aboard nelly.

TUNNEL2.jpg

Last edited:
I took some photos of this placeabout 5 years ago beforer it closed and also its neighbour Little High Wood, it was a friendly little hospital and the staff we met were really enthusiastic that someone wanted to record their hospital!

Wow that place is amazing. I never new about this but thats the 3rd major hospital to close in Brentwood in the past 10 years or so. There was one where the BT building is in London Road and then about 5 years ago Warley Mental Hospital which I got a few pics of back in 2006 but was a bit late.

It allways amazes me how much stuff is left behind in places like this. That singer sewing machine should be in a museum.

Wow that place is amazing. I never new about this but thats the 3rd major hospital to close in Brentwood in the past 10 years or so. There was one where the BT building is in London Road and then about 5 years ago Warley Mental Hospital which I got a few pics of back in 2006 but was a bit late.

It allways amazes me how much stuff is left behind in places like this. That singer sewing machine should be in a museum.

The one on London Road was St.Faith's hospital which had been an epileptic colony and industrial school before that. Also, although smaller there was Little Highwood, next to the main hospital and Brentwood District hospital which was on Crescent road and was demolished a few years ago.

What No Furry slippers!!!

I need a new key board & that way i wouldnt post the same message twice ,
Then have to enter this silly entry to cover it ;)

Please delete for me.
SK :)

Last edited:
What No Furry slippers!!!

Thanks for your comments and Pete for the additional info.
The items that remained realy added to the explore & cant wait to get out & about already.
Klemp`s You might be on too somthing there,Derelict Essex?
Just nice to get in there before the chavs & bulldozers
nelly,Realy well done ;)
Thanks again,

Last edited:
Nice! Wasn't so sure when I saw the exterior but inside - wow, what a find! Liking the sewing machine shots!

-0xy

Thanks Prof.

Oxy,There where a two of them in a room.
Where all the nurses uniforms & capes were.
Maybe part of a thearapy programe or somthing ?

Image023-2.png

Last edited:
I was the one who wrote go away in pins on the wall, I would have been 13 or 14

there's little left of health provision at the old Highwood Hospital site now - a GP surgery and a mental health 'resource centre'. I remember the hospital well before it was closed down, used to live just round the corner. My daughter attended the school dental service, and there was a very well run, friendly, small ward for old people. All gone, such a shame, replaced by extremely expensive housing. Some of which was adapted from the old buildings. Ditto Warley, where I once worked for a while. Wouldn't like to live there - too expensive, and too many ghosts.

Back