HMP Noranside, Scotland - January and June 2018

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add a little more to the history of Noranside. John Milne also had offices in Philpot Lane, London and travelled frequently between London & Montrose. He purchased the "Fearn" estate in 1766 from the trustees of (Sir) James Carnegy of Pittarrowand sold off much of it to Charles Greenhill, and had the Dundee architectural practice of "Maclaren Sons & Souter" design the house which was bulit in 1796 and 2 side wings added in 1797. His nephew (Lieut-Colonel) James Mill 1789 -1868, inherited Noranside and sold it to Thomas Gardyne who then sold it to (Major) Robert Thomas, JP in 1865, then his son inherited it prior to the government taking it over. Regards David Milne

Thanks for the extra info - just to add that MacLaren designed the extensions to Noranside to accommodate the sanatorium at the start of the 20th century. Nobody seems to know who designed the original house. More info here in the listing - NORANSIDE HOUSE (LB12329)

Excellent.

I'm so pleased others explore old prisons because I have a real fear of accidentally being locked inside :(

For some reason it reminds me of my old high school mixed with the RVI hospital at Newcastle.
Some interesting stuff in there and a rare look at what nice people like myself will hopefully never ever see!

Fuck I should’ve posted one of the police stations, then finished with a morgue. Would’ve been the perfect timeline from start to finish!

That is most fecking excellent thanks for posting loving those pics
It was a Sanatorium first , then a open Borstal, then a Prison , in 1965 I spent 18 months as a Borstal boy
there , my squad looked after the grounds , and sometimes sent down to the screws quarters to cut
their grass , some others worked the farm party, some the garden party

Is this site still abandoned/around? Not seen alot of photos or videos of the place since 2020-21, was looking to go explore it in the next few weeks.

Still there, some of the buildings are apparently in use again and lived in. Would tread warily in case the stories of dogs on site are true.

Still there, some of the buildings are apparently in use again and lived in. Would tread warily in case the stories of dogs on site are true.
Will go have a look when i’m free, will reply back to this thread if theirs dogs, or people living in it. Seen a video on Tiktok from 2022, place looks empty but obviously within a year that can change.

Last edited:
Will go have a look when i’m free, will reply back to this thread if theirs dogs, or people living in it. Seen a video on Tiktok from 2022, place looks empty but obviously within a year that can change.
You should read the post from kilham october 2018 be interesting to know how he's getting on with it

You should read the post from kilham october 2018 be interesting to know how he's getting on with it
Ah yes, just seen that post there. Hopefully something has been done to the place, Noranside House is a stunning looking building.

Latest posts

Back