Horton Chapel & Epsom Cluster Remnants, Oct '12 (V. pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Horton Chapel has been a goal of mine for three years now: countless recces and revisits have proved fruitless, (the chapel is securely locked and maintained by the borough council) so when the opportunity arose to visit legitimately as part of a 'guided walk' around the Epsom Cluster, I jumped at it.

Horton Hospital opened in 1902 in buildings designed by G.T. Hine, Consultant Architect to the Commissioners in Lunacy. During two World Wars it was commandeered as a military hospital and the patients transferred elsewhere. The hospital played an important role in the development of Induced Malaria Therapy as treatment for General Paralysis of the Insane (a symptom of advanced syphilis) and also pioneered attempts to treat and rehabilitate sex-offenders. After 1971 patient numbers were gradually reduced and the hospital closed in 1997.

The chapel held its last service c.2003 and is now in limbo. Several ideas have been put forward for re-use, including an evangelical church, a mosque and most recently a community centre.

2.jpg

First, the former main gate of the hospital, now part of the Horton Haven Psychiatric Unit

13.jpg

The Chapel

15.jpg

In 1961, the west end of the chapel was partitioned off to serve as a hall for entertainments which doubled as a music therapy unit. This was called the Harewood Hall

17.jpg

Among the items left behind was this huge ancient reel-to-reel tape recorder, probably part of the music therapy equipment.

18.jpg

The chapel itself, looking up the nave

20.jpg

Looking back. The large mural was painted in 1963 after the chapel was partitioned and is in excellent condition.

24.jpg

Encaustic tiles in the sanctuary

28.JPG

The organ console

29.JPG

Stops and keys

27.JPG

Organ pipes

30.JPG

Old service sheets and a moulting hassock

31.JPG

East Window

Naturally, as well as the guided walk, I engaged in a few 'extra-curricular' visits. I won't go over the history of the Epsom Cluster here, but if you're not familiar, there's a brief introduction here

Firstly, the rest of Horton:

8.jpg

I was shocked to see that the iconic water tower had been demolished and replaced by this memorial

32.JPG

This is Horton House. Originally the Superintendent's residence, it was converted to patient accommodation in the 1960s.

39.JPG

I first visited this house in 2009, since then it seems the upstairs walls have fallen through the floor.

44.JPG

This was the only part of the upstairs I cared to visit. Taken from the top of the stairs.

Here's St. Ebba's:

s1.jpg

Admin block, now rather nice flats.

s2.jpg

One of the villas, likewise, although about 1/4 of the hospital remains open for patients.

101_5247.jpg

The water tower and surrounding workshops are stranded in the middle of the new housing estate.

s4.jpg

Sadly, the place was completely empty and the tower was a guano-strewn, pigeon infested nightmare.

s5.jpg

Nothing to see here.

Long Grove:

l2.jpg

Admin block, again, now rather nice flats. Nothing derelict to see here.

Central Power Station:

u3.jpg

Now David Lloyd Health Club, I always assumed there was nothing left to see

u5.jpg

Amazingly however, the original pumping equipment survives and is well-looked after.

The Manor:

m1a.jpg

Admin block, there's a theme developing here...

m2a.jpg

Some sort of temporary building, formerly also the hospital bus stop.

m3a.jpg

The now closed Pines Lodge Day Centre.

Hollywood Lodge:

100_9014-1.jpg

Completely bricked up.

And of course, West Park:

w3.JPG

Admin block, being converted to flats.

w5.JPG

Clifton/Cranford/Denton/Dartford

w8.JPG

Main street

w6.JPG

Greenbank House, former Drugs unit

105_5347.jpg

Kitchen

105_5350.jpg

Corridor

m1.JPG

The Mortuary

m2.JPG

Pathology Lab

m4.JPG

Tissue samples - rather creepy.

m5.JPG

I believe by the legs and tail that this was a squirrel.

m6.JPG

The body refrigerator

100_9019.jpg

More on Horton hospital here: http://derelictmisc.org.uk/hospitals/h/horton.html

Great report there. The tape player in pic 4 was brilliant, my mum had/has one exactly like that, I think it's in her loft. Ah the memories of playing with that as a child....

Those shots of West Park brought all sorts of memories flooding back....it's so good they kept a large amount though

Excellent informative report. Really well put together. Is there any evidence left of the light railway that used to service the hospitals?

Not that I'm aware of. Most of the trackbed has been built on, though you can still trace the route in field boundaries and walk part of the trackbed through Horton Country Park. There used to be remains of the station at West Park but they were difficult to get to when I went back in the day and of course they've gone now.

I was eating supper, just as I got to the mortuary, tissue samples, body refrigerator, & preserved squirrel. Nice. Urbex is def not for the squeamish. What is the story on Hollywood Lodge? Over-the-top grafitti on what could be a beautiful house. Hope it doesn't look like the superintendent's place inside. Enjoyed your report.

Thats the kind of explore i want to find, shame there is nothing like that up here! Thanks for sharing! Loving the sample pics!

Thanks for the comments folks, glad it was of interest.

Stussy said:
Thats the kind of explore i want to find, shame there is nothing like that up here!
Nothing compared to what it was a few years ago; wish I'd spent more time up there when there was more to see.

What is the story on Hollywood Lodge? Over-the-top grafitti on what could be a beautiful house

It was built c.1760 on land from Horton Manor (later the Manor Hospital) for John Browning Esq. and his wife the Hon. Louisa.

After the last owner died in 1926 it was bought the London County Council as an annexe to the Manor and served as accommodation for mentally handicapped patients. It was later used as a psychogeriatric care home with ties to West Park but closed in 2003.

Hope it doesn't look like the superintendent's place inside.

Even worse, I'm afraid. It was set on fire in February 2005 and about half of the interior has collapsed.

8.jpg

22.jpg

I got into exploring faaaar too late as I missed all of the Epsom Cluster, bar West Park.

Nicely documented though.

Latest posts

Back