House of the Soldier's Widow

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars Lander

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Footsteps made again

A rather excited antonymes recently phoned me to proclaim " I am shaking....." and thereby recounted a story of how he had tentavely peeked thru an overgrown front window on an equally overgrown house far from the public gaze. Like me he as a strong dislike of exploring alone and asked me did I want to explore further this mysterious house, with a resounding YES!!!!! Another glorious game was once again afoot.

This was to be fantastic start to a most memorable weekend, starting here and then throughout the course of the next few days we visited some wonderful and unvisited places of fine quality. The climax of the weekend was a mid explore of zombie manor. Where events were once staged to shoot zombies with airsoft weapons at £119 a head , but the operative word of "once" was inaccurate and should read "ongoing" as part way in multiple cars and minibuses arrived full "heroes" and a zombie outbreak ensued . Surreal to say the least , all 8 of us piled atop the house to watch the comical debacle unfold. That's another story but if anyone is interested in what followed visit an album I threw up on FB with suitable captions....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....1073741837.100007002096022&type=3&permPage=1

... click the images to cycle thru and read the narratives.

Anyway back to the matter in hand. Ladies and Gentleman this report consists of 2 visits the first with antonyhmes and then with Sshhh... and Easy Tigger , equalling over 4 hours and STILL not seen the stuff downstairs, mainly 3 upstairs rooms , we present...

13951517040_a0d0f7d203_c.jpg
[/url]

Our first thought when finding a way inside, due to the sheer amount of clutter in the way , perhaps everything in the house had been gathered into one room. When we reached the top of the stairs we were delighted to see that virtually every box, draw, wardrobe and cupboard was full of items of yesteryear!!! .... Bingo!!!

13951471577_7daff72dfb_c.jpg
[/url]

Whilst others jet off in droves we see home grown niceties ...

13951529208_818a360109_c.jpgbig-wheel by Key Powt, on Flickr

We realise quite early on that the lady of the couple outlived her spouse by good number of years and that her husband was once in the army , still on sentry duty his memory lives on...

14138163235_1214c68790_c.jpgsentry by Key Powt, on Flickr

We were like kids in a strange time warped photographical candy shop..

14134828391_fdde74a513_c.jpgreletively by Key Powt, on Flickr

This room has sooo many things...

13951475687_d6c82e9ae7_c.jpgmagroom by Key Powt, on Flickr

antonymes continued to shake I thought he might rupture ,,, I fell in love with the imagery featured on these 1950's mags...

14138390744_87918c097b_c.jpgmagz by Key Powt, on Flickr

this was one of the latest magazines I could see.. let the swinging sixties begin ....

14138396724_444d93fcc3_c.jpg1960 by Key Powt, on Flickr

I wonder how much influence the fashion and culture of the magazines had on the lady of the house, the contents of her makeup bag were still full and perhaps give an indication of her daily cosmetic regime...

13951518960_b1656d6b5c_c.jpgcometica by Key Powt, on Flickr

Many letters abound posted with 'Penny Reds' , photographs of loved ones and friends and marvellously still in the box with wax paper still on the blades a Pifco trouser press, complete with antiquated plug and instruction manual. PIFCOTASTIC!!

13951523418_5d48062303_c.jpgsargent-pifco by Key Powt, on Flickr

A quick look in the attic rooms and even up there items are about.. I wanna see the next bedroom up here can wait for now..

14135218232_120eb961d9_c.jpgfirey by Key Powt, on Flickr

Another bedroom and just as filled as the other rooms , I compare the bed from another shot from a few days earlier there is fresh rat pooo...ewww , check the bra / girdle box its a 'Gay Slant' model.. haha

13951477737_db2aeac732_c.jpggay-slant by Key Powt, on Flickr

Meanwhile on the dresser, this place is just the WOWSAR!!!

13951489639_2ac2950b20_c.jpglucky-top by Key Powt, on Flickr

and so ends this report we are heading back to cover the rest very soon, as 3 lots of false teeth need to be photographed , raise your glasses and celebrate with us at this unearthing of a fantastical UK gem..

13951521128_dedfbaff43_c.jpgwhiskey by Key Powt, on Flickr

Cheers....big ears.

Thanks for looking and stayed tuned for whatever happens on our follow up visit and more reports of other places we happened upon.​

Last edited:
Excellent stuff.i love the old magazines..I must admit I get excited when I see your name come up on the report feed.i just know everyone is in for a treat.and what a treat it was.thank you.

WOW! Stunning find and exceptional photos as always, i wouldn't expect anything less!! :)

Simply awesome, sensitively and beautifully shot. Amazing that new places like this can still be found without having to use a passport.

Fanflipingtastic ML, all that whisky!! Was it real or had some misbegotten swine urinated in the bottles?. Loved the Post, Many Thanks.

I don't know how you do it, well actually I do - with a whole lot of care and attention to detail, not to mention patience... Well done on another fine report. PIFCO-TASTIC ha ha! Love it!

Latest posts

Back