Kaufhaus Am Inselplatz, Germany, August 2010.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dystopia

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I stalk the fringes of humanity and dwell amongst
This East German shopping centre dates back to before the Berlin Wall came down. I did ask about it and was informed that the area was promised a thriving shopping centre that would bring in many customers. However, such plans never came to fruition and this retail establishment has been uninhabited for a very long time...at least by people connected with shop keeping.

I didn’t get to do as thorough an explore of this as I wanted to, as I was on a tight schedule and you only got the odd hour and here and there as free time from residential school. For history, culture and friendly locals, Jena is a wonderful place to visit. However for dereliction, this seemed to be the only thing on offer in the immediate area.

I tried my hardest to get one of my fellow students to share my enthusiasm for abandoned places but sadly, I could not persuade any of them to join me. I kept looking at this place and the fact that it was conveniently located more or less directly opposite where I was staying meant that it was rude not to explore it. I informed one of my fellow students that I was going in there and went.

As this was the only derelict place in the vicinity, I feared that it was quite possibly occupied. The fact that the access point that I used made unavoidable noise put me even more on edge. Certainly given my physical abilities, there was only one way in and out of this place. Each visit was only forty-five minutes maximum and sandwiched between lectures.

I crept in on my first visit and all was quiet. There were only my own feet padding across the carpet. I was on a very strict time limit and I suddenly heard a slamming door upstairs and some stomping. I had a brief peer into the basement before running for the exit as quickly and as quietly as I could. Past experience taught me that playing the potentially lethal game of smack head hide and seek can take a more than half an hour and I couldn’t afford to wait it out when grammar lessons beckoned.

On my second visit, I went in one evening and got a good look on the first and second floor. However, I made the epic fail of not having a spare torch and having a torch of which batteries cannot be changed without aid of a screw driver. I was sceptical of finding anything to explore and took a not too great torch but Sod’s Law conspired in such a way that there was a bloody great shopping centre to play in. I got out before the sun had set to such an extent that I’d be unable to go out via the same route. I heard sounds once again that seemed to emanate from top floor.

I was not satisfied and decided to buy one of the wind-up torches for three Euros and return for one final poke around next time I had a break. That morning, I noticed the roof door was ajar when it had previously been closed – someone was definitely using that building. I crept in and headed for the thick blackness of the basement.

I reasoned that as it was pitch black down there, anyone coming after me would have to have a torch and I’d see them coming. Kaufhaus Am Inselplatz had an extensive basement. Upon questioning it, I was informed that it was most likely an underground parking area at some point. Nowadays, there is no evidence of parking space other than the car park that surrounds the building.

When I was down there, I heard the consecutive slamming of doors above and what sounded like stomps down stairs. I wondered if I’d made a bit too much noise and turned off my torch. I could not see my hand in front of my face and waited there a few minutes. Thankfully whoever was out there did not think to come into the basement.

Such a shame that the top level was inhabited, as I would have loved to have sat on the roof with a bottle of pop and watched the world below for a while. They may have been as friendly as most of the other inhabitants of Jena but as a lone woman I didn’t want to take that risk. At least I managed to have some dead building fun whilst I was out there.

GermanyOU062.jpg

GermanyOU064.jpg

GermanyOU058.jpg

Opening hours...this place was permanentely shut.
GermanyOU047.jpg

Each floor had one of these big halls. I assume that this was where the stalls would have been.
GermanyOU044.jpg

GermanyOU074.jpg

I felt rather nervous when I caught sight of this room. Thankfully I heard no footsteps, snoring or rustling so I edged closer....mercifully empty.
GermanyOU073.jpg

GermanyOU071.jpg

GermanyOU067.jpg

GermanyOU083.jpg

GermanyOU082.jpg

"East is Strong."
GermanyOU122.jpg

One of the big basement rooms.
GermanyOU112.jpg

Basement area.
GermanyOU113.jpg

"Drugs - The Fateful Illusion." Don't know what this was actually about but liked the art work.
GermanyOU121.jpg

Had some weird dream weeks before this of a broken bathroom similar to this with water on the floor. Don't know how it ended but it wasn't death by smack head so I didn't fret. I did however nearly have a brown trouser moment seeing my own reflection in glass out of the corner of my eye.
GermanyOU080.jpg

Pretty.
GermanyOU050.jpg

GermanyOU085.png

To see the rest, go HERE.

Latest posts

Back