Killarney Springs family park, Bude, Cornwall, October '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lycos

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score

Met up with the new girl on the patch for this one, (nice to meet you Lily! thanks for the company and for not doing this one without me!), After visiting another site in the area, (Brockland's adventure park - pretty much cleared now, kit has been auctioned off, half of the site is now industrial, and the other half returned to being the owners personal space), we headed out to the back up site, on a bit of an adventure park quest we made our way to Killarney Springs family park, also in the same area.

The parks website is still online at the time I write this report and can be found here -
http://www.killarneysprings.com/attractions.htm

It is sad to see so many of these tourist sites go under, in such a short time and so close together, you'd have thought that the closure of one would have strengthened the other,
Brockland's closed as the owners retired, but as to the closure of this site I don't really know the cause, although doing some research I did manage to find this on the HSE site -
http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/Notice_details.asp?SF=CN&SV=300173168
There were rumours going around about planning permission and lack of funds, but then rumours do spread once these things happen...

OK, on with some pics, there are loads I'm afraid as it was a huge site, with a lot of the area and buildings being cleared, a lot being sold off at auction, also signs of some landscaping being started, but we were glad to see plenty reminders still remaining...
This area was known as the 'Fun barn', play room for the under 6's, used to be filled with bouncy castles, ball pits and toys...
View from the 'Killarney Castle'
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Then on into what used to be 'The Powerhouse', (Twin twister, drop slides)
Snack bar, & pool table (all now gone)

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

The next area, last time I went was a food outlet and indoor eating area, with a few arcade machines, and toilets, this now seemed to have been turned into an indoor dodgems area,

12.jpg

13.jpg

These made me laugh, CROOZ controls...

14.jpg

15.jpg

Random trashed leftovers...

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

After climbing up the stairs to the top of the waterslides...yes, we were tempted...

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Heading down towards the 'Willow creek boat ride'

24.jpg

Apart from a big hill this was just about all that remained of the 'North ridge toboggan run', I remember these steps, they were a killer, especially when you end up carrying to kids toboggans too!

25.jpg

The boat house at the creek..

26.jpg

And on down to where the funfair used to sit, nothing left but bits and pieces rotting in the field, was supprisingly wet underfoot, not one of the best places to situate a rollercoaster...on marshland?

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Was a long walk but this bench didn't look that inviting...

31.jpg

Classic Swingball...

32.jpg

Not quite sure what the idea of these were, think they were used to sit behind a small metal swing-shovel as they were in what was left of the sandpit.

33.jpg

The gift shop, now emptied, and various other structures.

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

This was another restaurant..

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

And finally to the boating lake...

42.jpg

43.jpg

Plans for the future use of the property can be found here -
http://www.landmarque.co.uk/killarney_springs.htm
It seems no-one has bought the land yet as for sale signs can still be seen at the entrance, although planning permission has been obtained to build the above...

Thankyou for checking this out, and thanks again to Lily,
I still think you should have done the post!

Lycos.​

Cracking report peeps!
That looks a right gold mine of urbex material if ever there was one!

Cheers!

No wonder this place closed, it looks as much fun as a sexually transmitted disease!! Did you try out the bumper cars??

WOW what a great post sutch a shame to see it like this.
As for website still there cyberspace or what LOL.:spinny:

thanks for your comments everyone, the kids used to love it there, come to that, I used to have a pretty good time too, was strange to go back there and see it now..

I would have divorced my parents if they have taken me there for a day out, imagine being taken past the bumper cars and water flumes and being stood infront of sodding Swingball lol

wicked, hoped someone had done here! last i heard was that everything was still in there and very much protected!

due to people wanting to take stuff as they were owd money!

good load of pics used to love it there as a kid!

Doesn't look like it'd have been the world's worst theme park and still looks like it'd give a great day out. So much fun stuff still there!

Hi guys, new here but found this site fascinating, great pictures!

Whilst digging for more information about this site i found this interesting document

http://www.ncdc.gov.uk/media/adobe/0/o/Killarney_Springs.pdf

Seems in 2006 they were ordered to "cease the use of the dodgems; roller coaster and log flume and to
secure their removal from the land."

3. THE BREACH OF PLANNING CONTROL ALLEGED
The use of the land for the siting of dodgems; a roller coaster and a log
flume.
Planning Permission was granted on the 13th November 1990 for the
change of use of redundant agricultural land to a water leisure area and
nature trail (Decision Number 9012502). The siting of the fairground
rides listed above therefore constitutes a material change of use, which
does not have the benefit of plarrning consent. It is therefore a breach
of planning control.

4. REASONS FOR ISSUING THE NOTICE %
It appears to the Council that the above breach of planning control has
occurred within the last ten years.
The fairground rides and equipment are located within the park
boundary on land which is currentely void of structures and has the
appearance of open countryside, the site is also clearly visible to the
public from the A.39 to the west. The siting of structures has an
adverse impact on the landscape character of the area and would
therefore be contrary to Policy ENVI and DVSl of the District Local
Plan - April 1999; Policy 2 of the Cornwall Structure Plan -
October2004; and the guidance contained in PPS7 - Sustainable
Development in Rural Areas - August 2004.
It is not considered that the objections can be overcome by the use of
planning conditions.

5. WHAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DO
To cease the use of the dodgems; roller coaster and log flume and to
secure their removal from the land.
TIME FOR COMPLIANCE: 28 days after this Notice takes effect.
6. WHEN THIS NOTICE TAKES EFFECT
This Notice takes effect on 1'' September 2006 unless an appeal is
made against it beforehand.
DATED: 20" July 2006

Seems they didnt have the planning permission to put them up in the first place - could it be the main reason it closed?

Just read through the thread and noticed the HS&E notice served on the rollercoaster earlier in the year they had the planning permission notice, could be the double whammy of having an unsafe rollercoaster and then having to remove it with the other rides was the final nail in the coffin

Last edited:
Blimey, was gonna have a look this week while on holiday with nothing to do. thought i would be the first lol

good pictures, looks strange all empty, was owned by a bunch of polskis a couple years ago, think there was some interesting accountancy going on.

May take a wander up on the way to the girlfriends. are there still gnomes all over the place at brocklands?

Latest posts

Back