Kit's Hill Experimental WWII Floodlight

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi all;
Time for something different !!! Just to the North of North Fambridge railway stn in deepest Essex lies a strange,rusting,overgrown structure that was once part of our defence against invasion from the enemy !! Very little is known about it except that it was one of 50 sites (in Essex) that were earmarked to receive a floodlight surrounded by large mirrors to illuminate the night sky in the event of an aerial invasion.
IMG_7474copy.jpg

IMG_7475copy.jpg

The structure is a steel enclosure 50 feet across and 7 feet high in which the floodlight was centrally mounted and surrounded by twelve large (9'6"x5'6") mirrors which would obviously reflect the light upwards towards the sky.The experiment was not successful however as on cloudy nights the light 'bouncing back' to ground illuminated the surrounding area and would have proved to be a perfect navigational aid to the invaders.The project was,apparantly, abandoned in March 1940.
IMG_7478copy.jpg

IMG_7488copy.jpg

IMG_7489copy.jpg

IMG_7492copy.jpg

IMG_7493copy.jpg

I am assuming (yes i know it can be dangerous) that this is where the mirrors were mounted.
IMG_7486copy.jpg

IMG_7485copy.jpg

IMG_7481copy.jpg

This was not the best time of year for a visit to this site as without the aid of a machette or flame thrower we couldn't penetrate far enough to see what remained of the floodlight or mounting so a revisit in the winter maybe on the cards !!! According to the Essex website where most of this gen was lifted --
http://unlockingessex.essexcc.gov.uk/custom_pages/monument_detail.asp?kids=1&monument_id=1034282
as of Aug 2009 they had visited 41 of the named sites and nothing was found (except concrete base remains at 5 sites) so whether Kit's Hill was the only one completed we can only contemplate. !!!!

Geat report fluffy and a very unusual artefact. I seem to recall watching a TV program about this kind of system that was actually used along the Suez Canal during the war, obviously no low cloud to worry about there.

Never heard of/seen, anything liike this before. Roll on the winter, im dying to see whats in the trees!

Veeeery interesting! I was near here at the weekend and I had forgotten just how much interesting WWII stuf there is in this part of the world...

Excellent find, Fluffy. It sounds like something that Jasper Maskelyne might have come up with (the camouflage expert written about in the book 'The War Magician'). Look forward to when you can see more of it. Cheers. :)

Smoke and mirrors! :mrgreen:

Jasper Maskelyne come up with the idea of a searchlight that gave out lots of beams all around the light itself causing glare to the enemy bomber pilot (a bit like the disco lights with lots of beams) I believe the lights were supposed to rotate and cover an area miles across, but cant remember the name. Tthis could well be one of those sites.
Wayne

Latest posts

Back