limekilns/devils chimney

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricasso

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
this site is spread over a large hillside that makes up part of the cotswold escarpment.
the area is used frequently by walkers and mountain bikers
its a nice peaceful place to chill out and if your ever in the area i would recommend it.
try the following site for a potted history of the place,its worth scrolling to the bottom of the site for a lovely photo of the kilns under construction
www.gsia.org.uk/leckia.pdf

view up the middle incline
001-2.jpg

attempt to repair errosion
002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

electrial plant house
004-2.jpg

base of kilns
006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

bottom of kiln
008-3.jpg

view from above
009-4.jpg

010-3.jpg

quarry face
011-2.jpg

devils chimney
012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

looks like an interesting place - not far from me.

Is the chimney a natural feature or as a result of quarrying?

the devils chimney is apparently made of inferior stone and therefor not worth quarrying
thats the accepted line locally
Idont know why they would have worked around it but ,there it is !

Fabulous site! Love the devil's chimney. :)
Tried looking at the link but it's a pdf file and me and them don't get on. I'd like to blame the computer but I suspect it's the user at fault! :rolleyes: :lol:

I love this kinda thing, old industry in a rural setting. Does your dog always go exploring with you by the way?:mrgreen:

yeah,I usually take him on rural visits, good exercise for both of us plus,as i think i've mentioned elseware,he comes in handy if challenged, i.e " im looking for me dog mate, he just ran of "

Wow, this brings back happy memories of my student days digging for fossils at this location. I nearly sat on an adder while having my dinner there! :)

Back