Limestone Quarry - March 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic place. You have really captured the site well, with contrasting colours of the machinery against the quarry face. Good to see the group photo has stood the test of time too. :)

With respect Tarmac, the plant down in the snake pit looks like it's not turned the dryer since the place shut down roundabout the millenium. Whereas the mobile shovel looked like it had been worked that very morning I was there. :confused:

Also, the quarry you speak of with the crusher being shut down, is it the ex Tilcon one 'round the back' ? Also can you give us any dates as to when the Redland quarry right next door closed ? I remember there being a tar plant in that one in the mid 90s, but it was in the process of being pulled down when I saw it and sadly I never took any pics of it. :cry:

With respect Tarmac, the plant down in the snake pit looks like it's not turned the dryer since the place shut down roundabout the millenium. Whereas the mobile shovel looked like it had been worked that very morning I was there. :confused:

Also, the quarry you speak of with the crusher being shut down, is it the ex Tilcon one 'round the back' ? Also can you give us any dates as to when the Redland quarry right next door closed ? I remember there being a tar plant in that one in the mid 90s, but it was in the process of being pulled down when I saw it and sadly I never took any pics of it. :cry:

I wish I had taken more pictures too....ex Tilcon one, we still use that to make coloured asphalt, but its not quarried any more. I forgot about the Redland one, I think that closed about 1990. This one was Alfred McAlpine (as the yellow green colours show), but it was badged Wimpey after their take over, then Tarmac. You can see why these closed down, all the major players of the time all quarrying the same hill and the same work !

We closed the main crushing plant at the Tarmac one a few months back, it was built in the 1950's, so all that kit will be coming down soon too, thats visible just off the road,we just use mobile crushers in their now. Again, only 10 years ago, we had plans into reinstate the railway line, so we could feed London with Limestone......Their saviour is the big Asphalt Plant we put up about five years ago, thats when we stopped using the one at Wredon, I've not been up there for years so cant say what the loading shovel was doing.

Thanks for that T mate, all interesting stuff. :cool:

TBH mate, I'm a bit of a Tarmac related freak as me ole man worked for Derbyshire Stone in the mid 60s and then Tarmac until around 1978. I used to ride shotgun in the old ergomatic cabbed Leyland Comet he had when they were building motorways around Manchester. I know DS also owned the quarry you speak of near to where this disused quarry is and I like passing there on summer days to take some photos of the tippers parked up.
Can I ask if you have any old Tarmac related pics. either quarries or lorries ? Would love to see some if you have. :)

Tarmac....

I have loads ! Started work for them in 1987, and still work for them now, Quarries and loads of lorries !! And dissused quarries too...........Can you PM me ? I cant do PM's yet cos I am a newbie....

Derbyshire Stone

We used to go to our old Matlock HQ alot in the 90's, John Hadfield House, Matlock (Of course in another Old Quarry !) and of course Derbyshire Stone's HQ before that........Happy Day's ! My Mum used to work for Hoveringham too, bought by Tarmac in 1981...so I have quarries in my blood !

I have loads ! Started work for them in 1987, and still work for them now, Quarries and loads of lorries !! And dissused quarries too...........Can you PM me ? I cant do PM's yet cos I am a newbie....

Well mate I'd love to see what you have and I bet you'd love to see what I have. I have old photos of lorries from Topley Pike, Waterswallows, Dene Quarry plus plenty others. Do you have any of the khaki coloured ones as they're my favourites. The older the better ! :cool:

Now, we've made contact, I'll take my email addy down. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back