Lizard Farm HAA Battery, Whitburn, South Sheilds (Tyne S)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
After the HAA Battery at Blyth the other day I decided to have a look at Lizard Farm HAA Battery, Whitburn, South Sheilds (Tyne S). Having looked at it on GE the layout is pretty similar although there are a couple of differences. It was one of 3 HAA Batteries in the area but alas it is the only one still surviving the other 2 being Cleadon Tyne O and Fellgate Tyne D. Cleadon is now Sunderland football clubs training ground (another reason to hate them as I'm a Newcastle supporter lol) and Fellgate is now an quarry (Fellgate used to be the most intact battery in the area until they demolished it for mineral extraction). I have a plan for Cleadon and a 1940's aerial photo of Fellgate but nothing for this site so my map is made up of information from the land owner and what I already know of the site

Bit of info...
Whitburn, Lizard Lane, Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery Tyne S (HER1795)
This Heavy Anti-Aircraft site was established some time during World War Two. It was armed with four 3.7 inch static guns, which were the standard HAA weapon of the time, and remained in use until the late 1950s. Such weapons could fire to a maximum height of 32,000ft, and were designed to shoot down high flying bombers. The site also had two Bofors guns (quick firing weapons, used against faster aircraft flying below 5,000 feet), and two rocket batteries. The Home Guard operated this battery from 1941 until the end of the war in 1945. It still exists on private land

I must thank the landowner, again a really nice bloke, for granting me permission to photograph the site and for the bits of info he gave me. Again there were horses in the fields and I was asked not to disturb them and make sure all gates were closed after me which I did. He also told me that his bungalow used to be the officers quarters and when he moved into it 20 years ago it was timber clad, which he had removed and replaced with brick. I agreed not to publish any photo's of it for obvious reasons. Anyway on with the pics...

The site map
Whitburn%252520HAA.jpg

The ammo store
DSCF5414.jpg

The building to the right of the green doors is a new addition and nothing to do with the site
DSCF5415.jpg

The magazines. No.1 again building on the right is new
DSCF5421.jpg

DSCF5423.jpg

DSCF5425.jpg

Some original features remain
DSCF5424.jpg

DSCF5426.jpg

DSCF5427.jpg

No.2
DSCF5492.jpg

DSCF5493.jpg

DSCF5495.jpg

again more original features
DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5496.jpg

The generator building
DSCF5488.jpg

DSCF5489.jpg

Accommodation block bases
DSCF5471.jpg

DSCF5472.jpg

All of the gun emplacements and the ops building have been back filled but some of the features can still be seen. I am told that all features still remain intact under the back fill

DSCF5433.jpg

DSCF5434.jpg

DSCF5436.jpg

DSCF5438.jpg

Again I got followed round the site, must be my aftershave lol
DSCF5435.jpg

DSCF5501.jpg

DSCF5503.jpg

The ops building
DSCF5441.jpg

DSCF5442.jpg

DSCF5500.jpg

DSCF5499.jpg

The radar set house
DSCF5447.jpg

DSCF5448.jpg

DSCF5451.jpg

The storage shelters
DSCF5454.jpg

DSCF5456.jpg

DSCF5457.jpg

Post for holding up the GL radar wire mesh mat
DSCF5458.jpg

DSCF5460.jpg

The GL radar set ramp and plinth
DSCF5461.jpg

DSCF5463.jpg

DSCF5464.jpg

DSCF5465.jpg

DSCF5467.jpg

There were no signs of the bofors guns or the rocket batteries locations so I'm guessing they were mobile and had no fixed position either that or they have been removed/buried

And finally for this site we have what I'm going to call a pillbox but I've never seen anything like this before. I would be grateful if anyone has any more information about it
DSCF5473.jpg

DSCF5474.jpg

DSCF5476.jpg

DSCF5477.jpg

the one on the left was the entrance
DSCF5475.jpg

internals through the embrasures
DSCF5480.jpg

DSCF5481.jpg

now this is where it gets interesting...the roof it was open to the middle about 2.5 meters across
DSCF5484.jpg

notice the metal work
DSCF5483.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

well again thats it for this concrete overload
Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed
Cheers Jon

Another great set of pics mate :) that might be WW1 origin ? the embrasure steel thing looks a lot like those in the Spurn WW1 boxes

Another great set of pics mate :) that might be WW1 origin ? the embrasure steel thing looks a lot like those in the Spurn WW1 boxes

The battery was built during ww2 mate but the pillbox may have been there before that

I'm on my way up with a shovel jon :mrgreen: love it

And what requires a circular track/rail and RSJ supports? hmmmnn.

interesting find isn't it mate I'm thinking of going to see the land owner again and asking him if I could clear it out plus I've just realized I walked past what I think was the abollutions block on the way to get to the pillbox and didn't get any pics of it

Latest posts

Back