Low Chibburn Chapel, Northumberland - September 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigLoada

This is a lovely mediaeval ruin in the middle of some tranquil fields up on the Northumberland coast. Some nice window detail and stonework still exists after 700 years.

Low Chibburn estate was given to the Knights Hospitallers in the 14th century.
Also known as the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, they looked after sick people and cared for pilgrims who stayed at the estate whilst on their journey to Lindisfarne. Actually the order still exists, though under a different name and St. John's ambulance is one of their organisations.

During World War 2, the chapel was used as a defensive position by the military, and there is actually a loophole in one of the walls.

DSC_0024.png

DSC_0027.png

DSC_0030.png

One of the WW2 loopholes:

DSC_0029.png

A friendly milk cow:

DSC_0033.png

DSC_0037.png

DSC_0038.png

DSC_0043.png

DSC_0041.png

Another nice one. :)

We have seen it from the road on several occasions. I'm glad you got to it! Love the archwork Lithium - so fragile but still standing. Well done for getting past the fat cows. :mrgreen:

Is the site listed etc??

Another nice one. :)

We have seen it from the road on several occasions. I'm glad you got to it! Love the archwork Lithium - so fragile but still standing. Well done for getting past the fat cows. :mrgreen:

Is the site listed etc??

No idea if it is listed. There was nothing there except a sign giving a description of it, the kinda thing the county council put up.

Fabulous find, Lithium. I love that loophole...even though it's not in keeping with the building, I really like the way the bricks have been set in, and the fact that there's been another historical use to it. :)

Latest posts

Back