Ludham Bridge North Drainage Mill. Pillbox.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Shuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In the flat county of Norfolk there are three major rivers crossing the Marshed areas. The Yare, Bure and further north the river Ant. In WW2 these rivers were deemed a natural stopline to a possible invading German Army and the River Ant itself a natural Tank Stop Line. The only way for a Vehicular invasion would then be restricted to the bridges across the rivers which were then extremely heavily defended as a matter of habit The Home Guard in their wisdom thought the bridge could be caught in a Crossfire Ambush. And so it was that this small Drainage Mill originally built around 1820 was brick re inforced with walls up to 18 inches thick and Embrasures opened around a 2 floor Pillbox with a small entrance and mini Blastwall. Even a Spigot Mortar Point!
DSCF1196.png
Quite an idyllic lookind setting for what seems an abandoned Windmill at first sight...
DSCF1198.png
DSCF1199.png
DSCF1202.png
DSCF1203.png
DSCF1204.png
DSCF1209.png
DSCF1208.png
DSCF1211.png
DSCF1215.png
DSCF1218.png
DSCF1200.png

Yeah I found it fine. It was a lot smaller than I thought and only about 20ft tall! still a fine Pillbox anyway.:)

Great stuff there black shuck, the use of a windmill as a pillbox is clever camoflague. There is a windmill up this way (Cleardon Hills) that was used as a look out post during WW2 as it gave great views of the coast from the Tyne to the Wear. Nice one mate

Great stuff there black shuck, the use of a windmill as a pillbox is clever camoflague. There is a windmill up this way (Cleardon Hills) that was used as a look out post during WW2 as it gave great views of the coast from the Tyne to the Wear. Nice one mate

Wll I also have my mate Hypo to thank for putting me on to this little Gem. Apparently there is another Pillbox opposite to this one over the river on the other bank facing The Ludham Bridge. Could you see the Stainless Steel on the Spigot Mount?

Wll I also have my mate Hypo to thank for putting me on to this little Gem. Apparently there is another Pillbox opposite to this one over the river on the other bank facing The Ludham Bridge. Could you see the Stainless Steel on the Spigot Mount?

I've noticed on all the spigot mounts i've seen, the stainless steel has always been shiney as if it had been used very recently. Must have been made from a very high grade.

I've noticed on all the spigot mounts i've seen, the stainless steel has always been shiney as if it had been used very recently. Must have been made from a very high grade.

Yes that is exactly what I thoght tbh. I could not believe it was over 60 years old.

I also have my mate Hypo to thank for putting me on to this little Gem.

No worries mate. Just wish I could remember more of this stuff that's lurking in the depths of my memory. I lived at Catfield and Horning in the past, so spent years wandering around the area as a kid. Also spent a fair amount of time up and down the rivers too. I seem to have the memory of an 80 year old just lately though :(

Yes that is exactly what I thoght tbh. I could not believe it was over 60 years old.

Have you ever seen the original bases for the spigot mortars

spigotmortarhomeguard1.jpg

Me and Daddybear thought we had found one whilst trawling the net

2488140598_a91c916b53.jpg

But it turned out to be a Motley Mount for Twin Vickers “K” Machine Guns for light anti aircraft defense

attachment.php

Still a nice find though. Just got to go and photograph it ourselves and investigate what else is in the area just another one to the list....

Those Vickers look like Brens to me. But still. I've had a thought.

I need to check a pic from Hillhead, if I can find it. That frame looks a bit familiar.

Those Vickers look like Brens to me. But still. I've had a thought.

I need to check a pic from Hillhead, if I can find it. That frame looks a bit familiar.

Here's another pic of how the frame would look

brenmount.jpg

don't know about the guns though I suppose they could mount any machine gun on them

Aww, bum. It doesn't look like I took a pic after all, probably because I thought it was a bit of an old bike. I need to go back now and check. :)

Aww, bum. It doesn't look like I took a pic after all, probably because I thought it was a bit of an old bike. I need to go back now and check. :)

always the case mate, you never know though you might find something else...

I take it this is the mill you were talking about earlier BS? What a cracking place, pretty unique conversion to a defensive position. Keep up the good work bud & look forward to another road trip your way soon :)

I take it this is the mill you were talking about earlier BS? What a cracking place, pretty unique conversion to a defensive position. Keep up the good work bud & look forward to another road trip your way soon :)

Yeah talk about a unique Pillbox. I could not quite believe what I was looking at when I got up close. It was a two storey Pillbox , reinforced brick walls up to 18 inches thick!:lol:

Yep by one get one free Miss Cannonballs!!:lol: the Home Guard certainly showd a bit of Ingenuity for this type of Defence!:)

Back