manhole covers

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful what you lift. It's all too easy to drop a square manhole cover down it's shaft (As I've discovered) and they are very heavy (22kg a side, if it's the split type) as I have also discovered. Of course, round ones are impossible to loose down their shaft ;)

Make sure you have someone else with you, and the correct drain key for the job. Too small, too flimsy and you are likely to land yourself in a whole world of trouble by dropping the lid down the shaft. Take care out there guys :)

right im not going to lift any covers just like that then.

Ive had a walk down and worked out theres actually about a million on the road alone, especially on the stretch i thought it was on.

Yellow-fire hydrant
LBFH- luton brigade fire hydrant
ones with stone cover and metal round the edge- post office telephone (i have no idea? post office telephones?)
Stone cover with little metal square CATV- cable tv
Then theres the one which is just a criss cross metal grid- full of water.
Water- water pipes
Then theres the square ductile challender ones that are made of the two triangles, i looked this up, they are vented so they must be drains
then there some hexagonal ones, they too are vented and every few hundred metres up our road.

I do happen to know now that theres more than one shelter on this road. and its a hill which all the houses are old and have hollow floorboards. im pretty sure there used to be a tram line on it as well. So the road is a bit strange. a lot of adjustments have been made. im going to ask my friend who works in street services if they can shed any light for me.

post office telephones was privatised to become british telecom (BT)...

3349395350_db24e9f6a9_z.jpg

This is the only one I've ever seen if it helps you. This one is in Leeds.
The Air raid Shelter writing has almost rubbed away with passing feet over the years, but you can just make it out still.

If only Plymouth's shelters had this, it would certainly save time digging around :p

From the pic there's another clue in what appears to be a hinge at the top of the casting, would prevent it falling anywhere?

From the pic there's another clue in what appears to be a hinge at the top of the casting, would prevent it falling anywhere?

I suppose the hinge is there for ease of use as it would need to be opened from below, being an emergency escape hatch.

was told about a shelter at a cross roads near the city center of plymouth (thanks Badoosh for the info) noticed the entrance to the side... bricked up... but the man hole covers on top of the road side has had me nearly have a few near misses as i looked down for a name and didnt pay attention to the road ahead...

but its all fun i had my shelter virginity popped at a shelter to the west of plymouth... cracking little places for what they was at the time... graffiti is amazing to still be there sharing with a few spiders :mrgreen:

Badoosh we need more shelters to be uncovered!... ;)

Again, I am not convinced of the wisdom of openly talking about 'popping' manhole covers on a publicly accessible forum...

good point! i cann assure you i for one think i wont be doing that due to the dangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back