Mulberry Harbour, Gold Beach, Arromanches, Normandy

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I understand these were fabricated in the South coast & floated over.
There are several sections that were left between Portsmouth harbour & hayling Island.
They can be seen best from theWest end of Hayling Island, Ideally whilst sat at the Ferryboat inn...

hi
First post here,

These were constructed at Lepe on the South Coast between Portsmouth and Southampton.

From Wikapedia -

Prior to the invasion of Normandy in June 1944, Lepe was used as a secret manufacturing site. Six massive concrete caissons (type B2 Phoenix breakwaters) were built here and later towed across the English Channel where they formed part of the artificial Mulberry harbours after D-Day. Lepe was also one of the many places on the south coast of England used for the embarkation of troops and equipment for the invasion. Concrete mats like big chocolate blocks were used to reinforce the shingle beach for heavy traffic. Some of these mats can still be seen today along with pier remnants, bollards and various concrete and brick structures. Lepe was also the point where PLUTO (Pipeline Under The Ocean) left the mainland. It carried fuel across the Isle of Wight and under the English Channel to the Allied forces in Normandy and beyond.

As the text says, still parts there, been there myself, quite eerie knowing what was done there only 65 years ago.

hope that helps!!

I visited here in 1990 as part of a school trip to france. At the time i didnt understand the importance and what had gone on there. But now when i think back to my visit, i walked along a beach where so many gave their lives so that i could have my freedom. It really humbles me to think of that. They can never be thanked enough and we're lucky that the site still exists as a monument to those that suffered so we wouldnt. Thank you for putting these pics up. It's really brought back a lot of memories.

Back