New Bigging ROC post Aug 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

species8472

Reaction score
Whilst out at Douglas Wood Radar station we decided to find the ROC post at NewBigging listed on the subbrit site.
After a bit of a trek through the long grass I found the post in a small fenced compound.:)
It was a master post and had been retrofitted fith a lot of earth bonding straps.
Unfortunatly the post has been broken into and the hatch was hanging off:mad:. Due to and lack of a torch lack of time and the weather closing in I was unable to venture inside to assess further damage.:(
Will be making another trip in the next few weeks this time decending the depths.

The main hatch damage
IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Down the hatch, note the earth bonding straps, this post was covered in them, presumably for sheilding against an EMP
IMG_2012.jpg

FSM Pipe
IMG_2011.jpg

Ariel Tie down point in good condition too
IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

Air Vent with ariel dome
IMG_2008.jpg

Visited the post again with a few friends, this time I ventured down..
The post was surprisingly dry. A lot of stuff still lying around, paperwork, soap, toilet roll, glitto, teabags in a glass jar, spare bulb, teletalk was long gone. The rubble from the hatch destruction was lying in the sump and shaft floor.

Air Vent & Retaining bolts, These bolts held the aerial mounts. The original paint, a pale blue colour can clearly be seen.
IMG_2022.jpg

Inside the post were two cupboards one on top of the other.
IMG_2025.jpg

Toilet used to store the cleaning materials.
IMG_2026.jpg

Comms board, still in good condition.
IMG_2027.jpg

Homemade cooking tray. The posts lead observer made this tray to hold the tommy cookers, else you had to cook on the shaft floor.
IMG_2028.jpg

In the cupboard, soap, standard issue, tea cloth, teabags in a jar and some other stuff.
IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

Rubble at the shaft bottom.
IMG_2033.jpg

Looking up the shaft the bent ladder can be seen.
IMG_2034.jpg

Cover slab. The slab was used to cover a pit dug to hold the fuel can for the generator. The sla was painted red.
IMG_2047.jpg

Dome key, a simple steel bar with two prongs.
IMG_2051.jpg

The dome key in use. The dome was bloody tight, trust me.
IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

http://s806.photobucket.com/albums/yy349/species1471/New Bigging ROC post/

Last edited:
Thats a shame, looking at the pics on subbrit it becomes clear why the hatch has been ripped off :(

Back