North Wales hospital ( Denbigh county asylum) October 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The processing of the photos and the dereliction make it look a lot more menacing than it would have been in its active life.

The processing of the photos and the dereliction make it look a lot more menacing than it would have been in its active life.

Asylums were meant to be menacing. They were used by parents to threaten children. The fact that most of the hospitals that were built in the 1800's were mainly self-contained and usually isolated added to the atmosphere of the place.

They weren't happy places when they were first built. Although pioneering EEG (Electricshock therapies, which are still used today but only under sedation) along with other medical approaches to mental health, asylums, as you probably know housed not only the insane and criminal, but many were used to house bastard children, unmarried mothers and anyone who was remotely different. If they didn't fit into society they were housed in these places or the workhouses.

They weren't meant to be happy places. They were used to put the fear of god into people, literally. With many people thinking they could get off criminal charges by pleading insane, they would be sent to the Asylums. If they were deemed by the doctors on site as not insane, then they would be transferred (eventually) to a prison.

I read a book on my ipod about Broadmoor's history and there was mention of several women who had been sent there from Wales who spoke only fluent welsh, so the opening of Denbigh would have meant they would have been transferred.

Sorry, blabbing on now. x

You really need to re-check your history of mental health because most of that is hopelessly wrong, and whilst treatment in county asylums was far from good (and treatment of mental health still is, no-one has ever figured it out yet), the aim of them was humanistic and therapeutic in intention, and they aimed to provide secure but pleasant surroundings..

You really need to re-check your history of mental health because most of that is hopelessly wrong, and whilst treatment in county asylums was far from good (and treatment of mental health still is, no-one has ever figured it out yet), the aim of them was humanistic and therapeutic in intention, and they aimed to provide secure but pleasant surroundings..

That's what I love about this place. You learn new things constantly. I guess I have always wanted to lean towards the darker side of the histories of these places. The negatives, if you will.

I would never have thought of them as pleasant surroundings. I suppose a lot of modern fictional literature and television has a lot to answer for, if people, like myself (who I thought was educated :p ) have a wrong interpretation of it all.

I know that with there was a darker element to the "caring" and "educational" side of mental health back then, that was exploited by people in power, but I was under the impression that it happened a lot. Sorry for running my mouth off. x

This place has always been top of my favourite list
Shame I got in this game a little too late!
It's too far away from me and in such a bad way it's not worth the journey.
Such a beautiful building and great report!
Thanks....

Great report! Thankyou!

I have a soft spot for asylums, and this is one of my favourites. I'd love to get the chance to go one day before it's too late, but she looks like she's in a pretty bad way already! Ah well, maybe one day.

Thanks again :)

We were sure he was still in the white van, we were lucky then and now we know what to look out for! How did he react to you? Thankyou for the great comment :)

The very last few seconds of this camera's life shows it to be a dark coloured 4X4 (might be green).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkk1F_E2BE[/ame]

The very last few seconds of this camera's life shows it to be a dark coloured 4X4 (might be green).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkk1F_E2BE

What an unpleasant fellow, oh dear. The fact that the camera was damaged irreparably might be grounds for charges of assault, almost certainly for criminal damage. You were standing in the roadway, going about your business, and he attacked you for no valid reason. I don't care where the law stands on Urban Exploration, he had absolutely no right or justification for behaving in such a manner toward another pedestrian. You should report it, at least; no matter what he says, the law is on your side, here.

This set of picturegraphs make me want to jump in the car and drive to Wales - Stunning! I seriously need to go here :)

Back