Nuclear Shelter

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to hear they're demolishing some of these buildings after knowing what a hive of activity they often were.. the photos bring back lots of memories!

Also surprised they're demolshing them too, as a good portion of these were actually funded by NATO (meaning mostly US cash).

I think if I remember correctly, most bases had 2 distinct and independant HAS sites at least one of which I think would have been funded by NATO.. I think these were signified by a smallish NATO emblem on the doors.

The OPS room shelter that you're talking about was probably the Aircrew Shelter I mentioned previously.. assuming these are actually on the HAS site?

Edit:'
I'll just add, when entering one of these buildings when they were being used for their primary purpose.. assuming the 'NBC state was RED once you had gone through the entire decontamination routine, you were given a new NBC suit which you had to wear inside.. and in the event of an 'air raid', you had to don full gear including respirators even while inside these buildings with their solid concrete windowless walls and scrubbed pressurised air!l And youd sit and wait.. exercises were frequently based around long periods of tedium and discomfort :/

Last edited:
Not a lot scares me, but I'll readily admit that I'd have had heart failure at the alarms going off and generators kicking in.
FANTASTIC report and pics. Amazing.
When you see the 'advanced technology' of its time, you appreciate it was totally ineffective against a nuclear attack

Looks like a fantastic explore but I too would have crapped myself at the sirens going off. Great photos :)

These pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing. I'd have has a panic attack in there with alarms going off.

This is very similar to the one at Kelvedon Hatch, thats open to the public though. What area of the country was this one in? There are more of these cold war relics around than you even know!

Brilliant report! Makes very interesting reading. No stranger to NBC suits myself in the 90's so this brings back memories. Great pics too, thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back