Old Forge near Hempnall (Norfolk)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamishsfriend

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Most passers-by probably overlook this small ivy-clad building situated by the village's crossroads, and so had I, until a local resident told me what purpose it had once served. This used to be a blacksmith's shop. The first picture shows the view out of one of its broken windows.

1.jpg

072e69a6.jpg

The oldest reference that I managed to find comes from a list of several estates in the area "to be Sold by Auction, if not disposed of before, on January 15, 1783, between the Hours of Twelve and Two, at the King's Head, in the Market-place, Norwich". Not quite a hundred years later, William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk in 1845 mentions two blacksmiths having worked here. The references about two blacksmiths having worked at this forge remain constant until 1884 although, obviously, over time the names change. The last bit of information pertains to the licence holder of the Hare and Hounds public house (closed in around 1935) in 1891 and 1892, who was also the village's blacksmith.

And then the references stop. I am guessing that the shop probably closed in the 1950s and it has since, more or less, remained in a time capsule. Tools, a crucible and other paraphernalia can be seen on top of the furnace, where they were presumably left after the last fire had gone out.

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

7a.jpg

The stone, iron-bound water trough, used for cooling the forged iron after having been taken out of the furnace, glowing red hot, is still in place at the furnace's front end.

10a.jpg

The anvil, however, has been removed. It would have sat on the block of wood seen here.

111.jpg

But the bellows are still attached to the beams that held them in place at the back of the furnace, including the chain that was used for operating them.

10.jpg

8.jpg

I am not sure what purpose the contraption affixed to one of the roof beams once served. Could it have been a hoist?

12.jpg

13.jpg

There is the usual clutter one would expect to see in a workshop, broken boxes containing unidentifiable (to me) bits and pieces, a great number of which can also be seen strewn about on the floor.

ph040.jpg

ph041.jpg

And this beautifully made sturdy old wooden wheelbarrow.

ph034.jpg

What a find! Truly amazing that theres still bits and pieces from when it was operational in there. Seeing those benches made me thinnk, I wonder if anyone who worked there is still alive?

What a cracking little place you have found. I'm very surprised that it still contains so much after all this time. That bellows, with its old rivets, is a real gem. Well done.

thats a cracking little find! I would imagine the benches were probably used by the old chaps of the village as a meeting place, that was certainly the case in the old blacksmiths shop in our village, somewhere warm to meet and put the world to rights! :)

thats a cracking little find! I would imagine the benches were probably used by the old chaps of the village as a meeting place, that was certainly the case in the old blacksmiths shop in our village, somewhere warm to meet and put the world to rights! :)

Thank you. I think you are right, it must have been exactly the sort of meeting place you describe, like the old village post offices also often used to be. My first visit was about a year ago and nothing has been touched since. I hope it will remain this way.

. I am not sure what purpose the contraption affixed to one of the roof beams once served. Could it have been a hoist? [/quote said:
This looks as if it is an early form of Steelyard - a form of weighing device using a beam with arms of differing length each side of the fulcrum. The arm/lever at an angle above the straight beam is probably a stop mechanism, to support the main beam as the load to be weighed is hung from the hook on its short side. The long arm will originally have had some of reference markings punched into the surface, but rust will probably have obliterated all signs of these. One should also remember that the 'unit of weight' on early steelyards was probably unique to the area - a reference weight of some form provided by the local Squire for instance - bearing no comparison to the lbs and cwts we think of being used.

This forge is very old and as such the smith would have made all kinds of fixings such as nails, hooks and straps etc. These items were always sold by weight in the past - my hometown ironmonger was still selling nails, screws and washers by weight in the 1960s - so the presence of a weighing device in the old forge is not to be unexpected.

Dirus_Strictus - Thank you very much for this very interesting information. Presumably not many of these have survived in their original setting.

This looks as if it is an early form of Steelyard - a form of weighing device using a beam with arms of differing length each side of the fulcrum. The arm/lever at an angle above the straight beam is probably a stop mechanism, to support the main beam as the load to be weighed is hung from the hook on its short side. The long arm will originally have had some of reference markings punched into the surface, but rust will probably have obliterated all signs of these. One should also remember that the 'unit of weight' on early steelyards was probably unique to the area - a reference weight of some form provided by the local Squire for instance - bearing no comparison to the lbs and cwts we think of being used.

This forge is very old and as such the smith would have made all kinds of fixings such as nails, hooks and straps etc. These items were always sold by weight in the past - my hometown ironmonger was still selling nails, screws and washers by weight in the 1960s - so the presence of a weighing device in the old forge is not to be unexpected.

Steelyard hanging in my workshop (not as big but demonstrate's the principle),it can be turned upside down to use a differant calibration, it weighs in lbs and cwt, thats pounds and hundredweights for you kids, you can see the serrations on the bar for the weight to locate.

DSCF0040.jpg

Last edited:
What a fabulous little find. I'm amazed to see the bellows still intact as well as the other interesting remains. Just goes to show that what looks like an old shed just might be hiding something wonderful.
Excellent! :)

Dirus_Strictus - Thank you very much for this very interesting information. Presumably not many of these have survived in their original setting.

Your photo is the only evidence of what could be a very early locally made one I have seen. However, Ricasso's excellent item shows just what can be saved/collected by people with a bit of interest in old industrial items.

Ive got a pair of these, plus two large brass faced Salter scales that I got from a farm auction up in the Welsh borders about 10 years ago,paid 8 quid if i remember correctly, the auction was full of people buying artifacts for those Godawful "theme" pubs! they missed these though!

Yet another great little find Evelyn, I might have to have a wander over to this little gem during the week if we get a day with decent weather :)

Last edited:
Your photo is the only evidence of what could be a very early locally made one I have seen. However, Ricasso's excellent item shows just what can be saved/collected by people with a bit of interest in old industrial items.

I agree. After your and Ricasso's explanation concerning the Steelyard, I have shown my photos to a conservation officer who has helped me in the past. He in turn has alerted a colleague who is responsible for the area the forge is located in. They don't seem to know about it and will get in touch with me, I hope something will be done. It would be a pity if this place were to be swallowed up by nature and forgotten about.

Latest posts

Back