Old St John's Boughton

Help Support Derelict Places:

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I came across this place whilst looking at a map for where I could visit while my wife was Dog training at Moulton College. I drove past the entrance on the way to Boughton and only noticed it on the way back.
The Church dates back to around 1201 and stands near Boughton Green a triangular area of land where the village used to be till it was deserted in the late 15th century. The church fell into disuse in the early 16th century, The church is also built on a spring and the churchyard is still in use. The Photo's were taken in June so the nettles were starting to take the place over.

Entrance which is easy to miss.

Notice at the gate

Old St Johns

This was the chancel end of the church.

Considering how long the place has been open to the elements this alcove is in good condition.

One of the widows.

The Tower end of the church looking out one of the remaining windows.

Nettles hideing the graves.

Trees as well

This is St Johns Sppring if I'm right, I only noticed it when I heard water running and looked ito what I thought was a tomb. It would be nice to see it with no nettles hideing it.
The place is worth a visit if your nearby though I think in the summer it will be well overgrown.
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=15226

dobbo79

Veteran Member
Reaction score
its such a shame that considering it is a burial ground no one is bothering tending to it and keeping it tidy..
lovely place and lovely pics
:)

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They think there was a church there in Norman times but I did notice this set of stones under a window in what would have been a chaple.:)

Latest posts