Palacio FdP, Algarve, Portugal... (WARNING - IMAGE INTENSIVE!)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeJF

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in 2014 whilst we were still urbexing regularly and I was a moderator in here, we bought a villa on the Algarve in Portugal and subsequently we emigrated here around the time of Fux... oops, Brexit. There are many abandoned buildings over here but most are not much more than shells due to vandalism and "illegal salvage". Just occasionally though you come across and abandoned "super villa", particularly up around Lisbon where there are several.

This particular "Palacio" was owned by Brits and operated as a hotel and function venue but during the tourism slump back in the early "2000 and teens" it ceased trading and then rapidly fell into disrepair until eventually it was abandoned. We drive by it rather regularly and recently we noticed it appears to have been bought and work appears to be on going. Lets hope they manage to bring it back to it's former glory because it was abundantly clear to us during our exploration that it had once been absolutely magnificent.

Apologies for the inferior resolution of these pics but we had not gone "armed" with decent cameras that day so iPhones had to suffice!

Palacio FdP 01.jpg

Palacio FdP 02.jpg

Palacio FdP 03.jpg

Palacio FdP 04.jpg

Palacio FdP 05.jpg

Palacio FdP 06.jpg

Palacio FdP 08.jpg

Palacio FdP 09.jpg

Palacio FdP 10.jpg

Palacio FdP 11.jpg

Palacio FdP 12.jpg

Palacio FdP 13.jpg

Palacio FdP 14.jpg

Palacio FdP 16.jpg

Palacio FdP 17.jpg

Palacio FdP 18.jpg

Palacio FdP 19.jpg

Palacio FdP 20.jpg

Palacio FdP 21.jpg

Palacio FdP 22.jpg

Palacio FdP 23.jpg

Palacio FdP 24.jpg

Palacio FdP 25.jpg

Palacio FdP 27.jpg

Palacio FdP 28.jpg

Palacio FdP 29.jpg

Palacio FdP 31.jpg

Palacio FdP 32.jpg

Palacio FdP 33.jpg

Palacio FdP 34.jpg

Palacio FdP 35.jpg

Palacio FdP 36.jpg

Palacio FdP 37.jpg

Palacio FdP 38.jpg

Palacio FdP 39.jpg

Palacio FdP 40.jpg

Palacio FdP 41.jpg

Palacio FdP 42.jpg

Palacio FdP 43.jpg

Palacio FdP 44.jpg

Palacio FdP 46.jpg

Palacio FdP 47.jpg

Palacio FdP 48.jpg

Palacio FdP 49.jpg

Palacio FdP 50.jpg

Palacio FdP 51.jpg

Palacio FdP 52.jpg

Palacio FdP 53.jpg

Very nice TJ, seems to be a lot popping up in the Portugal. Hope to see more from you in the near future :)

Back in 2014 whilst we were still urbexing regularly and I was a moderator in here, we bought a villa on the Algarve in Portugal and subsequently we emigrated here around the time of Fux... oops, Brexit. There are many abandoned buildings over here but most are not much more than shells due to vandalism and "illegal salvage". Just occasionally though you come across and abandoned "super villa", particularly up around Lisbon where there are several.

This particular "Palacio" was owned by Brits and operated as a hotel and function venue but during the tourism slump back in the early "2000 and teens" it ceased trading and then rapidly fell into disrepair until eventually it was abandoned. We drive by it rather regularly and recently we noticed it appears to have been bought and work appears to be on going. Lets hope they manage to bring it back to it's former glory because it was abundantly clear to us during our exploration that it had once been absolutely magnificent.

Apologies for the inferior resolution of these pics but we had not gone "armed" with decent cameras that day so iPhones had to suffice!

View attachment 524428

View attachment 524429

View attachment 524430

View attachment 524431

View attachment 524432

View attachment 524433

View attachment 524435

View attachment 524436

View attachment 524437

View attachment 524438

View attachment 524440

View attachment 524441

View attachment 524442

View attachment 524444

View attachment 524445

View attachment 524446

View attachment 524447

View attachment 524448

View attachment 524449

View attachment 524450

View attachment 524451

View attachment 524452

View attachment 524453

View attachment 524454

View attachment 524455

View attachment 524456

View attachment 524458

View attachment 524459

View attachment 524460

View attachment 524461

View attachment 524462

View attachment 524463

View attachment 524464

View attachment 524465

View attachment 524466

View attachment 524467

View attachment 524468

View attachment 524469

View attachment 524470

View attachment 524471

View attachment 524473

View attachment 524474

View attachment 524475

View attachment 524476

View attachment 524477

View attachment 524478

View attachment 524479

View attachment 524480
One thing the Portuguese do well is decorative tiling. If you go to Lagos railway station on the Algarve you will see what I mean. "Otia Tuta" means "Safe retreat" or "Safe leisure". There is a 1920s Dutch style house near Sevenoaks in Kent with that name. Let's hope this place is put back into use.

One thing the Portuguese do well is decorative tiling. If you go to Lagos railway station on the Algarve you will see what I mean. "Otia Tuta" means "Safe retreat" or "Safe leisure". There is a 1920s Dutch style house near Sevenoaks in Kent with that name. Let's hope this place is put back into use.
We drive past it regularly and there is work going on at present.

Nearly... you missed the comma after I saw... it's sort of "b*stard Latin"... it's meant to (loosely) say "I came... I saw.. the secca's guard dog bit my aspect"...
Talking of secca, I was on holiday in Thailand a few years ago, and wanted to look at two 'derelict' steam locomotives in a yard in Bangkok, not far from my hotel. I thought I'd have a sneak visit late in the evening. I was looking at the engimes when a Thai watchman appeared. Not surprisingly, he spoke very little English. I tried explaining in sign language and basic English that I was railway enthusiast and wanted to look at the locos. Soon another watchman appeared, and the stuttering but amicable conversation continued. Then I was asked what hotel was I staying at. I replied, and one of the watchmen wheeled out his scooter. Almost every Thai has a scooter. He motioned me to get on behind him, and within a few minutes I was back at my hotel. Now, that is the sort of secca I like.

I would say that was quite an epic explore, nice one
Thanks bud. It was pretty cool for a roadside "walk in". There's a lot of abandoned stuff over here but very little quality. We did an old cement manufacturing plant the same day but it wasn't worth the effort of getting the camera out. Same with an entire abandoned village over near Silves.

Talking of secca, I was on holiday in Thailand a few years ago, and wanted to look at two 'derelict' steam locomotives in a yard in Bangkok, not far from my hotel. I thought I'd have a sneak visit late in the evening. I was looking at the engimes when a Thai watchman appeared. Not surprisingly, he spoke very little English. I tried explaining in sign language and basic English that I was railway enthusiast and wanted to look at the locos. Soon another watchman appeared, and the stuttering but amicable conversation continued. Then I was asked what hotel was I staying at. I replied, and one of the watchmen wheeled out his scooter. Almost every Thai has a scooter. He motioned me to get on behind him, and within a few minutes I was back at my hotel. Now, that is the sort of secca I like.
Bit different from some of the Neanderthals you get doing the job in the UK. Actually I'm probably doing Neanderthals a disservice!

Back