Pilkingtons glass..the main factory

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymutt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is a site I have wanted to see for a while.we did attempt it several months ago on weekend northern trip but we failed as the way in had been sealed up.so my friend who is quite local told me it was open again so on the way to Scotland I met up with him.another friend joined us too.and we all met up very early in the morning.we made our way into the factory through the way I had tried a few weeks back.i really enjoyed my visit here.the place is a fair size.i have split this report into two.the main factory block then I will do the machine shop as it's worth a report of its own and I took so many photos here too.

Pilkingtons glass was first established in 1826 in the Lancashire town of St. Helens.it started out as a partnership between two families.the pilkingtons and the greenhall family.when the greenhalls pulled out in the mid 1800's it became known as just pilkington brothers.the site grew considerably in St. Helens so a move was made to establish another site at kirk sandall near Doncaster.in 1926 the site opened to produce glass.houses were built to house the workers.the rail lines news and the waterways made it a perfect setting.the factory operated for 76 years before shutting its doors in 2008.

I wanted to visit here.because I was brought up in St. Helens before I moved to norfolk.i always remember pills all over the town.even the canal that ran beside it was called the hotties cause of the factory.rumour was that tropical fish had been put in there and survived.my mum worked at pilks for a while when she left school.

As we headed up the canal path on what was going to be a lovely sunny morning.we headed our way in to the building.greeted by lots of pillars I was not to sure what I was going to see has I tried to avoid seeing pics of it so it was a surprise.

image_zpsssqj8lfh.jpg

Then downstairs I was greeted by this sight and thought this will be good

image_zpsypfvj5rb.jpg

We then headed up to the first floor and was greeted by the riot of colour in this place

image_zpsqmrpfnuh.jpg

image_zpsck8k3rdl.jpg

Workers toilets

image_zpsn59mbcqr.jpg

image_zps0runuakr.jpg

image_zpseflach2r.jpg

image_zpsznrzq47i.jpg

image_zpslqlzsjcl.jpg

Crane levers

image_zpsn2orl8kj.jpg

image_zpspnabwyzv.jpg

image_zpsjvil8acx.jpg

It was time to go down the main factory hall.i had seen a few pics of it and it did not let me down.the length is just breath taking and the whole bit seems to covered in some sort of red oxidised dust.i can only presume this is a bi-product of the glass production.

image_zpskpj0cw3s.jpg

image_zpsesjzy1zy.jpg

Breakers and switches and levers were in ambundance here.

image_zpsg7wsheo3.jpg

image_zpsrjgfgpyq.jpg

image_zpscxgbrqep.jpg

image_zpsolq1qyju.jpg

image_zpsg6oepgcc.jpg

image_zpse0gvmiiv.jpg

A fallen crane attachment.the size of this thing had me wondering what this would have lifted in its day.

image_zpstfioz4t9.jpg

image_zpsxxnf2w4e.jpg

image_zps8gjvyxpp.jpg

Looking out over the site from the top floor

image_zpsap7z3fkm.jpg

image_zpsaubg7ml5.jpg

The office blocks and the control room.these office blocks always seem to be the most trashed.i guess because it's the easiest bit to smash up.thankfully it was not over trashed

image_zps4sgz9l4e.jpg

image_zpsiszpqetb.jpg

image_zpsdwdrn8jn.jpg

image_zpsgh6onohj.jpg

image_zps7w7vn8fv.jpg

image_zpsgejbbkey.jpg

I really like the sand silos in this room.loved the colours and textures

image_zpsiwo5p3xr.jpg

image_zpspv9ef1vl.jpg

image_zpsfsfxef7y.jpg

image_zpshr2lxwws.jpg

image_zpsxlmhompd.jpg

This is the long room below the sand dispensers

image_zpsbs6wybct.jpg

image_zpslcxdkk2k.jpg

image_zpsxtbg1m3z.jpg

image_zpsiqaiuiac.jpg

image_zpsuymw4yqq.jpg

It's out of the main hall.and into the next building.still really long this was the ware house were the glass use to be shipped out from.there was railway lines in here up to a few years ago but they have now all been lifted.

image_zpsrbq6eah0.jpg

image_zps1mcksszb.jpg

image_zpsetobum4h.jpg

Well that's it for the main factory I will post the machine hall soon.sorry it's a bit long winded but I love my industrial and get carried away with my camera.and this is industrial how it should be.massive open spaces with bits and bobs to find everywhere

Wow, that's quite an extensive report. But its okay to be long winded with your shots, I like it. But, alas you usually include a derelict typewriter, none so far.

Great report and photos, this is now on my list, just looks like there is so much to see, cheers Mikey

Thank you all.it ain't a bad place at all.

Latest posts

Back