Pillbox at Tillybrig Cottage near Dyce, Aberdeenshire - Feb 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subsea 7. You got any jobs going? I think my boat's going to be on standby for a while. :p

Just got back from my hols. I work for CGGVeritas, we just decommissioned a bunch of boats too so not much joy here either.

No matter. Looks like I'm mobbing up a boat on Monday. 6 months work at least, but I'm hoping my regular one gets sent to Brazil. Fed up of all this snow nonsense.

Just noticed you own Sercel. We used to use your GPS receivers until we went all in-house.

Last edited:
Yup, nice little earner they are too. Keep the company afloat through the tough times.

HAHA. WAY lazy. Nice one Dieter.

Hardly worth getting out and about now, as we can all do an initial recce from the comfort of home.

That's a weird little thing. Like a mini type 22 without a lid. I suspect it never had a lid though, it might be a LAA position as it's not far off the runway axis of Kinross airfield.

Last edited:
I initially found it whilst working as a courier for a week in that area, and I really couldn't spare the petrol (or be arsed) driving all that way again, just to take a couple of photos of a roofless brick pillbox. I read somewhere that the roof was removed due to it's proximity to the road... I dunno...

Why go to all the trouble of just removing the roof? Might as just do the whole job. From the description in the DoB it's just made of two layers of brick which means it's not a hardened position and therefore not strictly a pillbox. It also seems too small to take more than a couple of blokes at once.

It's in the middle of no where, I imagine it's purpose was to obliterate any wee German paratroopers landing in the fields around it. All it'd have needed was one man to fire and another to reload.

Trespass no more

Seahorse, I would appreciate if you or anyone else did not trespass on my property. Posting photographs of my house and garden on a website are not appreciated. It would have been nice if you had asked permission first. As for the shutters I have removed others due to people not knowing what they are doing and breaking them while trying to see if they work. Due to your selfishness I will now seek to fence off the access to this site to prevent further damage. The pillbox is not derilict just needs some TLC and respect. The other building you refer to is and old quarry/brickworks ruin that has no link to anything war related and is just an eyesore and pigeon reststop.

Whilst I appreciate your concern TNM, I'm afraid that trespass as such is not recognised in Scotland. And since the pillbox does not appear to be within the boundary of your property, it is therefore unwarranted to expect anyone to recognise the fact that it is, allegedly, so.

By your own admission, there have been other incidents where unwelcome visitors have damaged the shutters. The point at which you needed to prevent access was then, and not after I have posted a report. You will note that nothing was damaged during my visit, nor was anything taken except photographs. You can hardly blame me for the actions of others, either prior to or subsequent to, that visit.

If indeed the pillbox is on your property, you need to make this clear. The entrance being, as far as I can make out, outwith your boundary.

As for taking photographs, I can offer no apology. I am sick and tired of being told where and when I cannot pursue my hobby, and if that offends, then you'll have to live with it. Mine are not the only images on the internet, and I suspect were you to chase down the photographer of every one of those images, their reaction would be the same. In fact, I'd be interested to see how far you get with the owners of this site...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=vaGtjFY64mpC_82CzWQypQ&cbp=12,168.47,,0,8.58

As a simple courtesy, I shall offer an apology for entering the pillbox without seeking permission. But I'm afraid that is as far as I am prepared to go.

I do however thank you for the update on the brickworks.

PS - Welcome to Derelict Places. :)

Last edited:
Trespass may not be recognised in Scotland, but common courtesy and manners cost nothing. The pillbox is on my property and if you go to www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk you will see photographs of said pillbox, but they and Aberdeen council sought permission, they did not take photographs of my house or garden. BTW the front grass where you took the side view photograph is also my property. If you wish to post your address maybe I or others can go and visit/photograph etc. or are you another NIMBY who does not mind affecting other people as long as you are not affected. Maybe we would find something interesting about your property that anyone with access to the internet would find worth a visit...........
The previous incedents were carried out by schoolchilren who did not know any better. You sound as though you should but are acting like a spoilt child as you have been asked before about taking photographs. I would prefer if photographs of my house, garden and address were not posted on a website. (My preference)
The pillbox has been there for years with unrestricted access, but trust me the Pillbox entrance will be altered to discourage access.

TNM, are you concerned that you are at risk now that someone has posted a picture of your garden on the web?

Better get those gnomes locked up

Last edited:
Back