Pillbox & Spigot Mortar Base + Graffiti, Cuckmere Haven, East Sussex

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update Pete.

The last shot is cool. Have you come to any conclusion as to what type this pillbox is?. There does not seem to be any more loop holes that are visible from the shots there are, so would this be the only one. May still be a case that they are burried.

It's defo a non-standard design, but my recent photos seem to confirm what I was investigating, ie the embrasure design is based on those seen in the shell-proof Type 24s.

From this I reckon that the embrasure is for a Bren tripod, although we'll never know for sure unless somebody actually digs the pillbox out.

There is only one embrasure and I can only presume the entrance was on the rear wall.

I took some internal measurements thru the loophole and knocked up a possible reconstruction, seen below:

cuckmere_4.jpg

How accurate this is is open to debate, particularly whether the footprint is rectangular as I've drawn it here, or follows the angled walls down to the foundations. I opted for a rectangle as this is is probably quicker to knock up and a better platform upon which to set up the wooden former around which the embrasure concrete was poured. I forgot to probe down beside the visible concrete to see if I hit the concrete shelf I depict on either side.

Dig the PB out and prove me wrong...

- Pete

The fact that the embrasure has been left nude so to speak would suggest that this was always a buried pillbox. Having the wall built up above the embrasure would have given it an obvious profile. If I'm right then I would suggest access may have been through a roof hatch. I can't see any evidence of a door on the internal shots. That's not to say there isn't one, but there is another buried pillbox close to the beach here which also has no sign of a door and is so embedded into the hillside it's hard to imagine how you got into it, other than through the roof.

The fact that the embrasure has been left nude so to speak would suggest that this was always a buried pillbox. Having the wall built up above the embrasure would have given it an obvious profile. If I'm right then I would suggest access may have been through a roof hatch. I can't see any evidence of a door on the internal shots. That's not to say there isn't one, but there is another buried pillbox close to the beach here which also has no sign of a door and is so embedded into the hillside it's hard to imagine how you got into it, other than through the roof.

Hi CP,

I agree that it was designed to be buried as the profile of the whole thing fits into the earth bank, but it didn't stop the Germans from identifying it though...

The photos I have show no sign of a roof hatch, and some probing with my hiking pole located something solid (presumed the rear wall) in a rabbit burrow probably about 2 feet in from the rear face of the bank, so it's most likely the entrance was in the rear wall.

However, I calculate the backfill is about 60cm below roof level, and so unless the PB is over 2m high, the door is going to be quite low (estimated 1m 40 high) but you might expect it to be lower than the embrasure level to avoid backlighting and showing daylight right through the bank.

btw, I may have some GE adjustments for you - how do you want them?

- Pete

Latest posts

Back