Pillboxes - A few more loose ends from County Durham

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Had a bit of spare time the other afternoon so I thought I would tidy up a few loose ends and photograph some of the pillboxes I have missed over the last few years or so on my travels round my part of the world. I didn't get as many done as I would have liked as I didn't count on the 4 mile round trip I was going to have to make between 2 of them and me being me took the hard route not thinking as usual lol. Anyway this is what I managed to get.

I'll start off with a one I couldn't find last summer due to the vegetation covering it, it was a bit of a DOH!!! moment when I found it as I spotted it whilst driving and couldn't find it on foot last time. This is the twin pillbox to the one I did last year covering Crimdon Dene entrance ([ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=19484[/ame]) and is only about 200 yards North from it on the same stretch of road. Again it is a vickers machine gun emplacement. It is on the DoB but has no number

DSCF6877.jpg

DSCF6879.jpg

DSCF6880.jpg

DSCF6881.jpg

DSCF6882.jpg

internals

DSCF6884.jpg

DSCF6890.jpg

DSCF6885.jpg

table

DSCF6886.jpg

breakfast anyone

DSCF6891.jpg

DSCF6892.jpg

Still at Crimdon Dene I tried to find pillbox S0006655 but sadly it is now completely buried all you can make out (if you know what your looking for) is the roof detail

DSCF6899.jpg

DSCF6898.jpg

Moving away from there I went to find the one on the cliffs at Easington colliery that I couldn't find. This was due to the DoB position being wrong

easingtonpillbox.png

Pillbox S0006671 is a variant on a type 26 although it isn't square, one wall has been built on an angle (so it looks like a badly made type 24) this is due to it's location and line of fire had the wall been square on it would have been covering the side of a cliff mostly.

DSCF6765.jpg

DSCF6766.jpg

DSCF6767.jpg

DSCF6768.jpg

DSCF6769.jpg

DSCF6777.jpg

internals

DSCF6770.jpg

note the tiny wall just covering the entrance

DSCF6775.jpg

DSCF6772.jpg

DSCF6776.jpg

DSCF6773.jpg

I need some help on this if anyone can. The front facing embrasure is split into 2 (on this pillbox and the next) as can be seen on the last and next photos has anyone any idea why this is and what the left hand embrasure would have been for. It faces North up the beach

DSCF6774.jpg

Then it was off for my route march as I decided as it was a nice evening I'd walk the 2 miles to the next pillbox along the shingle and rock beach... bad idea I was fooked by the time I got to this one mind you I did get some other scenic photos along the way

Pillbox S0006658 is a type 22 variant adapted for it's surroundings at the mouth of Hawthorn Dene on Hawthorn Hive beach

DSCF6815.jpg

DSCF6814.jpg

DSCF6820.jpg

DSCF6822.jpg

DSCF6821.jpg

DSCF6823.jpg

internals note no Y shaped ricochet wall

DSCF6824.jpg

DSCF6825.jpg

DSCF6832.jpg

That strange embrasure again, facing North up the beach again

DSCF6827.jpg