Pipemare (the easy bit) - July 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThenewMendoza

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A solo jaunt across the Pennines led me to this marvel of underground wonder, an easy entrance and plenty of room to stretch your legs. A fine way to spend a Friday evening after work. Found and explored fully by LittleMike (+ DDT and Dempsey) late last year I wasn't disappointed by the marvellous large tunnel that lay before me. I only did the nicely chilled out upstream section, Pipemare proper didn't look too inviting for the solo Mendo.

I'm not one for wittering on (well, I am, but I can't be bothered) so here's the pics, was fun!!

P2.jpg

P1.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P9.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

Thanks to LittleMike for the extra info too.

Mendo :)

Another great drain! Theres been loads recemtly. I like that kinda reinforced steel tube stuff. Is there a correct term for that kind of pipe?

Dunno, I just call it bolted pre-cast concrete. It's seems quite common for modern tunnel-bored stuff.

Nice pics btw. Need to get back here, I absolutely love that upstream section, especially the first brick/stone bit. Some very nice construction.

Very nice explore, with as always really nice photos! Thanks Mendo!

Cheers, Pipopo.

btw for anybody thinking of going down this one be especially careful. The high water mark when me ddt and dempsey went was on the surrounding landscape about 2ft above the top of the infall. Rather terrifying when you consider it's a 12ft tunnel!
The catchment area is also very large and extremely steep so it reacts very quickly to rain compared to other culverts.

Oh yes nice one. There's a good mix of sections in there. The entrance and last pic look good with all the greenery. What was the water level like, bearing in mind with had a bit of a monsoon summer.
Nice report :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back