Pittfield Farm (Cleaned but still interesting) - Poulton-le-Fylde - Nov 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
This was another of those 'time capsule' stories that went round the papers so ended up with lots of vandals destroying the site very quickly.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-abandoned-19th-century-farmhouse-24808537
According to LancsLive: "The site, known as Pittfield Farm, dates back to the 1880s and was constructed by a roadsman by the name of Thomas Thornton from neighbouring parish Singleton. His daughter, Mary Thornton, married a local railway man by the name of Thomas Henry Crane at St Anne's Church which was witnessed by their friends, the Cookson family, who lived locally to the farm. The farm ran successfully and bred Clydesdale horses for local shows in 2013 up until Thomas passed away. The site was functioning up until 2016 when Mary passed away and the property has been this way ever since. Thomas and Mary had one daughter, also named Mary, who would later marry another Thomas, called Thomas Cowell. It is understood that two family members have joint ownership of the house, but are at odds over what to do with it."

But we uncovered a little bit more history upstairs and ended up spending a couple of hours looking through various newspaper clippings, letters, and documents. Front and back of the house on our arrival.

front.jpg

house back.jpg

The house has been cleaned out with a pile of carpets and curtains on the front garden.

fireplace1.jpg

kitchen.jpg

room wide.jpg

windows out.jpg

stain glass.jpg

switch.jpg

athroom.jpg

But then in a cupboard upstairs we found a pile of newspaper clippings. A lot of them, all mentioning the queen, (many just photos of her with no accompanying article), going back as far as 1948. Some looked earlier but we couldn't find a date on them. This one was a month after Charles was born - "The Future King Looked Well".

1948.jpg

Looked like one hell of a Queen obsession. My daughter was camped out for some time flicking through them.

sat papers.jpg

Then we noticed a set of stairs that didn't seem to match up with the rest of the upstairs we'd seen. It took us to a room separate from the rest of the house, possibly used as an office? It was full of old documents. The most interesting were letters from during the second world war. I've posted the fronts of two of them below. One was about no longer needing to take away the farms eggs to be distributed. And the other was one reminding the farmer that milk production was a life or death matter. We'd never seen anything like that and as my daughter is studying WW2 in History right now she again ended up camping out digging through the pile.

paper file.jpg

letter milk sm.jpg

letter eggs sm.jpg

There was a range of outbuildings but nothing that really caught our eye in them. Although we were rushing out at this point as we'd stayed much longer than intended.

barn light.jpg

car side.jpg

Wonder why the windows have been pushed out? hope this gets restored before it gets beyond it or burnt out
When we looked at the gaps they were very crumbly. I think they may have pulled them into the house before they fell out? We're on the first floor at this point.

thanks - your daughter will enjoy reading those letters . The one from the MAFF indicates how important farmers and farming were during the war years. All the civil servants working for the Ministry of Food and who were involved in food rationing, were outposted to Colwyn Bay, my father being one of them.

thanks - your daughter will enjoy reading those letters . The one from the MAFF indicates how important farmers and farming were during the war years. All the civil servants working for the Ministry of Food and who were involved in food rationing, were outposted to Colwyn Bay, my father being one of them.
Less chance of being bombed? Was there a Min of Food version of welsh rarebit?

Less chance of being bombed? Was there a Min of Food version of welsh rarebit?
I was in my forties before I found out what that was. I just thought welsh people called rabbit meat - rarebit.

Back