Plessey Windmill, Northumberland 10/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.103622&lon=-1.628428&z=20&r=0&src=msl

Here some background:-

Also known as the Old Windmill. An unusual cylindrical windmill tower built from squared stone, with north and south doorways on the ground floor. The shell remains intact, but the interior and the roof are gone.

'Only a parallel sided tower remains, with walls of well-dressed sandstone; parallel sided towers are usually considered to be fairly early, but according to 'Curiosities of Northumberland' by Armstrong, Graham & Rowland (1970), it has ‘M. W. [Matthew White] 1749' above a doorway. Sockets in the outer wall of the tower suggest a possible reefing stage, but if so the tower must once have been considerably higher.'

26-10-08_1221.png

26-10-08_1222.png

26-10-08_1223.png

26-10-08_1226.png

26-10-08_1227.png

Nice one. :)

I was wondering when this would appear! I know Lithium has visited a while ago. The building looks odd to me - more like a chimney. Must be me.:mrgreen:

Where abouts in Northumberland is this?

I used to live on a plessey road in Blyth, but at a guess i'd say near Plessey woods?

Where abouts in Northumberland is this?

I used to live on a plessey road in Blyth, but at a guess i'd say near Plessey woods?

Not far from there mate, it's round past Merck, Sharpe & Dohm (spelling?) plant at the back end of the industrial estate at Cramlington.

Not far from there mate, it's round past Merck, Sharpe & Dohm (spelling?) plant at the back end of the industrial estate at Cramlington.

Oh, I work in Cramlington and i've never seen it! i may take a look!

We have got loads of Windmills down here!. But alot of ours are Old Tower mills or the older Post Mills:)

Latest posts

Back