RAF bases

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flexible

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Can any of you clever people tell me how many RAF bases there were at the end of WW2, and how many active or live bases there are in tye UK today. I'm trying to make a comparison of no. of active bases v. no. of de-commissioned bases in the last 60-odd years and it's got to the point where I'm almost fed up of searching on the web. Maybe I'm not doing it properly, but I guess someone on this forum will know that sort of info. Ta.

I've been trawling through the 'back catalogue' of RAF bases on the Military Sites section and there's a lot of great stuff which has been posted, so I must get off my lazy arse and get out there to check a few out. P'raps I'll make that a new year's resolution! :D

Something you have to find out for your self like everyone else. I do know I work on an ex RAF base and there were at least half a dozen round the area , two still in use though one is an Army barracks now.
If you bother to search the net you can find a website about them

RAF WW2 bases

Hi Mate

Well my book by Willis and Holliss lists all the active bases between 1939 and 1945 it includes all the USAF and also RNAS and that comes to a total of 653.

The book is massive. you might be able to find an old copy on e-bay

Cheers Newage

Hi, thanks for the replies. Well I actually counted the ones listed on Wiki and it showed 577 former bases and 75 current ones, so there's more than a few which have been abandoned over the years. I wasn't looking for an accurate figure, but I suspect there were more than 577. This is just a matter of personal interest, as I find disused airbases fascinating.

Stu - thanks for the PM, I've contacted the other two. Cheers. :)

Thanks, I had come across this site but somehow I missed the homepage :confused: I know. wtf???

Harwell -- N 51 34 28 W 001 18 43 1932? RAF. 12 Grp. Fighter OTU AEC Some buildings "adapted" but the airfield has been obliterated. Can't really agree with all this as there is still a bit of the airfield there. The perimeter roads, part of the main runway and one of the pillboxes can be seen (in a school). Admittedly most of it is on the Harwell ? Rutherford campus so not really acessable to the public but can bee seen in Google earth

According to the Airfield Research Group there were 719 including RNAS airfields during WWII.

Latest posts

Back