Raf binbrook September 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting, those black and white pics are really effective.
As whitelaw says the men who flew from these airfields during the war really were a breed apart.

is it really closed for 20+ years? can still hear them lightnigs of 5, 11 and LTTF. nice pix

Beware of Binbrook as it can have quite an effect. I have had a thing about Lightnings since I went to the Last Lightning Airshow in 1987. I returned to Binbrook in June 2012 and I stood on the remains of the runway and went to the QRA shed. I stood there and thought - did all that noise and thunder actually happen all those years ago, well it must have done as I was there. The atmosphere was incredible and left a real impression on me on my recent visit.

The next day I noted at Newark Cockpit Fest that Lightning T.5 XS420 was up for sale and in short me and my mate Mike bought her. XS420 lives at Farnborough Air Sciences Trust and we are very pleased that we have been able to preserve this Icon of the Cold War Age.

In a couple of weeks time I am going back to Binbrook and I am looking forwards to the memories the field will evoke.

Also remember all the Bomber Command crews who flew from this airfield high in the Wolds. Lest we forget.

Latest posts

Back