RAF Croft, Warrington - March 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This place you visited isnt RAF Croft, although it is in a place called croft. The place in the photo's is HMS Gosling, a Naval Training Camp. Origionally there were 5 Camps. Camp 1 is now under a housing estate, Camp 2 is now under Risley Prison, Camp 3 is the Camp in the above photo's, Camp 4 has evaded my memory, and Camp 5 is in Glazebury near by.
Tom, it's both. This is the relevant text on the page Sal linked earlier:

rafburtonwood.org/croft.html said:
What I knew as RAF Croft started as additional living accommodation for H.M.S. Gosling located at Risley. H.M.S. Gosling was commissioned on 8 October 1942 and was paid off in 1946. That station was dedicated to the Fleet Air Arm and was a training base. H.M.S. Aeriel was also paid off and on 1 February 1956 was opened up as RAF Croft to process people in and out of the U.K. Although it was called RAF Croft it should not be confused with another RAF Croft which was up north and used by the RCAF during the war.

I love this place, I go running around the track on a regular basis. Its fantastically quiet. I managed to get up the tower last year, but left my camera at the bottom in my bag, its quite a view, but is pitch black on the way up, so I advise a torch (also in my bag) and a ladder.

Just so you know, HMS Gosling 5, in Glazebrook, has been demolished now, except for the theater building, which is now Glazebrook Conservative club. It is being restored by a building company, and the building is almost identical to the theater building at Croft (HMS Gosling 3)

If your local, I would advise a walk around the Glazebrook site. The site itself is split into 2 parts, and both parts are easily accessable, as dog walkers and kids use the ground.

Theres not much to see now, but you can still see the building foundations all over the place. They are visable on Google earth

Last edited:
I love this place, I go running around the track on a regular basis. Its fantastically quiet. I managed to get up the tower last year, but left my camera at the bottom in my bag, its quite a view, but is pitch black on the way up, so I advise a torch (also in my bag) and a ladder.

Just so you know, HMS Gosling 5, in Glazebrook, has been demolished now, except for the theater building, which is now Glazebrook Conservative club. It is being restored by a building company, and the building is almost identical to the theater building at Croft (HMS Gosling 3)

If your local, I would advise a walk around the Glazebrook site. The site itself is split into 2 parts, and both parts are easily accessable, as dog walkers and kids use the ground.

Theres not much to see now, but you can still see the building foundations all over the place. They are visable on Google earth

I visited HMS Gosling 5 in early 2006, the report is here I don't know what happen to the pictures though!

Hi Saul,

Unfortunatly I didnt get to see the Camp at Glazebrook, as it had already been torn down, except for the thearter building, which is now the Glazebrook Social Club. Ive had a walk around both parts, as it is in 2 halves, but from what I could see, the most interesting parts that still exist are in peoples gardens across the road from the Social club.

Are you local to Warrington, as alot of your post are based in the area.

Just had a look. It's a shame the pics aren't available, but I wondered if it's something to do with the gallery we used to have on DP. Perhaps the pics went when the gallery was discontinued? :confused:

I think they were on my old Piczo site, all the pics on there seem to have disappeared.

Latest posts

Back