RAF Peterhead (Longside) - Oct 08. Filling in the gaps.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to resurrect this thread methinks. I was bored in June last year and had another wee wander around the south west corner over by the disperal areas. Here's the results.

Let's start off with a pillbox. For Cptpies' benefit, I'll confirm this one from the blurb thusly...

Cantilevered Pillbox

Site type PILLBOX (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 267783
Site Number NK04NE 12.15
NGR NK 07563 46732

A modified brick and concrete FC construction pillbox is situated in the dead ground between the runways near the southern perimeter track. The pillbox is visible on vertical air photographs (OS 69 176, 060, flown 6 June 1969), and is also depicted on the current OS 1:2500 digital map.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), November 2004
4389476593_3725be24c0_o.jpg

4390244572_870d250e98_o.jpg

4389477281_c46d935c23_o.jpg

Dispersal and Stanton shelters.
4390241946_046d97b8e9_o.jpg

4389475053_6692e837db_o.jpg

4390242786_83c91243fb_o.jpg

4390243006_f058cddb1f_o.jpg

And an unidentified building. I thought ablutions. But it's miles away from anywhere except the dispersals. Hmm. Have a look and see what you think.
4389468179_7ba4e5b85a_o.jpg

4390236200_5fdcd5a7d5_o.jpg

4389468669_c3b94722aa_o.jpg

4389469455_722aa5a870_o.jpg

This place was inhabited by a "gentleman of the road" when I was a lad.
4390237462_d82dedd325_o.jpg

4389469115_a363106be9_o.jpg

I'll be nipping back at some point to record all the pillboxes. I have a soft spot for this design for some reason.

Good pics, SH.
If that building's close to dispersal, it's probably a crew standby room. There's a similar one at Macmerry.

Is it not an aircrew accommodation block ? It looks very similar to the buildings at Kings Cliffe dispersal pens !!!

Not entirely sure how that would work. I guess you could squeeze bunks in along one wall though. I'll need to go back and check dimensions. But from memory, you'd need to be very short if they were bunks.

There would certainly be no room for chairs and the like.

Does Macmerry have ventilation suspended under the ceiling?

I'll pop along tomorrow for a better look.

That may be listed as an FC construction box, but it's very different in construction to all the "proper" East Anglian FC ones I've seen.

DSC_0008.jpg

The walls on FCs normally have a concrete ring capping around the top of the wall, even on ones with a bricked up embrasure. I've never seen a deep embrasure like the one on yours before. The roof design's also pretty different. FCs normally have a prefab roof with a concrete cap, where yours looks almost like it's been rendered over bricks in situ? It's really interesting to see though - almost as though someone from down south sent a photo of theirs and they built one how they thought it ought to look :)

Fluffy's right about the dispersal building though. It's identical to the one at Kings Cliffe. I'm pretty sure that one's recorded as an aircrew block*

* Edit: It's actually listed as "Sleeping shelter", so presumably a rest room for standby air crew. Quite why they didn't just use the Stanton shelters instead is a bit puzzling. Think I'd want to if I was there facing the risk of air raids!

Last edited:
That may be listed as an FC construction box, but it's very different in construction to all the "proper" East Anglian FC ones I've seen.

The walls on FCs normally have a concrete ring capping around the top of the wall, even on ones with a bricked up embrasure. I've never seen a deep embrasure like the one on yours before. The roof design's also pretty different. FCs normally have a prefab roof with a concrete cap, where yours looks almost like it's been rendered over bricks in situ? It's really interesting to see though - almost as though someone from down south sent a photo of theirs and they built one how they thought it ought to look :)

Fluffy's right about the dispersal building though. It's identical to the one at Kings Cliffe. I'm pretty sure that one's recorded as an aircrew block*

* Edit: It's actually listed as "Sleeping shelter", so presumably a rest room for standby air crew. Quite why they didn't just use the Stanton shelters instead is a bit puzzling. Think I'd want to if I was there facing the risk of air raids!

I think the ones at Peterhead are unique. Certainly, I've never seen the like anywhere else. There isn't exactly an all round field of fire from these things, so presumably they were relying on each one covering the others. Spread a bit far apart for that though.

There are a number of FC pillboxes that have had their embrasures partially bricked up to create single or multiple embrasures. You can't blame the people on site wanting to do that, they are really only good for overhead cover otherwise

Latest posts

Back