RAF Swinderby, Lincolnshire. Oct 08.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is the site in 1994, nowadays everything to the right of the road through the site is now a housing estate.

Swinderby2Mar94.jpg

* If some of this makes confusing reading, it's because i c*cked up, and initially thought this site was RAF Norton Disney, and not nearby RAF Swinderby. had to edit several mistakes, my appologies!*

RAF Swinderby was for nearly 30 years, the airman's school of recruit training, training moved to Halton in Buckinghamshire, after the closing of swinderby in 1993, the site later being sold off in lots, in 96.
the tech site remains fairly unchanged, the large ex airfield area being used occasionally as a showground/commercial fair area.
the domestic site, including all the barracks, messes, post office and medical facilities was demolished in 2003/4.
The beautiful 12 century church, in the village of Norton Disney, St. Peters, south of the airfield, has a memorial on the south isle, commemorating 300 sqn, and 301 sqn's operations from Swinderby.some of the airfields buildings are in use by private firms on a small industrial estate near the entrance, some newer buildings replacing what would have been there, but many abandonned original buildings are still to be seen, i took a wander around, and got a few pics, would have got more if the batteries i thought were ok were actually charged!
DSCN2600re.jpg

DSCN2599re.jpg

DSCN2602re.jpg

DSCN2616re.jpg

Loved the control tower, not sure if it's original, seems to look like slightly later brick work, could be wrong though,
DSCN2613re.jpg

amazingly thick glass in those sloping windows, must have been about 8 or 9mm thick.
DSCN2610re.jpg

view through a missing lower floor window in the tower
DSCN2607re.jpg

DSCN2622re.jpg

DSCN2625re.jpg

DSCN2623re.jpg

yet more eerie airfield windows.....
DSCN2626re.jpg

DSCN2627re.jpg

DSCN2628re.jpg

inside the much more modern, blue brick building, full of large lecture rooms, classrooms, and a small film theatre....
DSCN2617re.jpg

not singing anymore.... the odd unsold 'antique' tends to get left behind after the big car boot and antique fairs held on the large site during the summer
DSCN2614re.jpg

DSCN2629re.jpg

a few Nissen huts still survive (just) in a bad way, may have been offices, accomodation or briefing rooms.
DSCN2630re.jpg

one of my favourite pics of the day....
DSCN2632re.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
RAF Swinderby

The Nissen Huts were accomodation. I went through Basic Training at RAF Swinderby in 1978. We were moved out of the relative luxury of brick accomodation half way through our 6 week course and put in the Nissen Huts. Two men to a room. Good to see the pics. :)

Nissan Huts

In the mid 80's they were taken over by the Rock Apes for GDT. I can remember several sessions of trying to stay away in there!

this one looks worth a visit!!!

Sadly a hell of a lot of Swinderby has been demolished since those photos were posted. The lovely art deco tower has now been levelled along with the nearby fire shed and flight office. Two of the big 'j' Hangars behind the tower have now gone as well as the majority of the tech site including the water tower, Station HQ, Guard Room etc. I've visited the site several times over the years and it's one of my favourates to look over but it was a really sad visit time to see and hear the diggers and cranes smashing the place to bits.

Thankfully the more modern tower still stands for the time being as it's on another landowners land.

Cheers,

Steve

Had a girlfriend from Swinderby,years back when I was up the road.
Looking forward to a gander at the place next time I visit my mum who still lives up yonder,an praying there is a bit left for me to see.Great photos my good man,much appreciated.

In the mid 80's they were taken over by the Rock Apes for GDT...
They were in use for GDT in Jan 1980 when I went thru Swinderby. In fact it may well be that very corridor that I sat in feeling very, very sad for myself after failing one of the rifle drills and the rock Cpl told me to get out! I could do all the drills individually but not when all strung together - I thought I'd blown my RAF career before it had even started :( Fortunately they took pity, gave me another chance and I got the hang of it. Taught me a valuable lesson and in later years I became a dab hand with various weapons :mrgreen:
I gotta say I don't recognise the blue brick building at all. I've just been looking on Google Street View at the site where my old block was, it's now the end of "Owl Close" (this is the exact spot - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...3Y5pbeqhxH4KM-onOEEUEg&cbp=12,220.02,,0,21.36 ), not even an inkling that it was a military camp at all :(

Back