RAF West Raynham October 2010 (Pic heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
I won't bother with the history of the place because it's been very well covered by previous posts. The airfield is strange and eerie when visited in the slanted light of a cold October morning. Our only entry point was a miles worth of uphill slog away from the buildings and we didn't know that a model aircraft club was using what remains of the runway. Let me tell you, when you're strolling along a runway and you hear a jet engine winding up you get a feeling of butt clenching, abject terror and I'm not ashamed to say a few seconds later I was hunched in the sodden grass next to the runway as a metre and a half long red arrow model trundled by. Anyway, pics ahoy. (These pictures were taken on two separate weekends 1st Visit was the tower, 2nd was everything else. Also sorry for the poor quality of some, on the 2nd visit we travelled light so I only had my iPhone handy for pics.)

One of the service roads.

IMG_0317.jpg

On to the runway.

IMG_0319.jpg

More runway, you can see where the developers are ripping it up to use as foundation hardcore for buildings elsewhere.

IMG_0322.jpg

Some geese, because.

IMG_0321.jpg

Nearly there.

IMG_0318.jpg

On to the dome.

IMG_0326.jpg

The exterior of the dome. No interior pictures I'm afraid, to dark. The acoustics are, as previously reported spectacular. The beep of my phone echoed for a good thirty seconds.

IMG_0331-2.jpg

The hanger closest to the dome was unlocked, upon entering we were confronted with something we didn't expect. Bonus points to anyone who can identify the type of plane. Needless to say we gave it a VERY wide berth, it had a camera pointing at it and we didn't want anybody thinking we were up to no good.

IMG_0337-1.jpg

The hanger's are truly VAST.

IMG_0375.jpg

The plane from the side.

IMG_0377.jpg

Hanger service ladders. I was going to climb but it would have put me in full view of the model plane flyers.

IMG_0339.jpg

The impressive hanger doors. They have notices informing people they're welded shut.

IMG_0341.jpg

A poster on the door of an interior hanger room. Looks like a few souvenir hunters have tried to peel it off.

IMG_0333.jpg

These next few are all the boiler rooms. Note the extremely precise wiring, obviously done by a craftsmen.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Revised 1976

IMG_0357.jpg

Behind the hangers the builders fences leave little to explore except the boilers and the water tower supplying them. This is the base of the tower. We were going to enter but a buzzing sound that turned out to be a transformer the size of a mini cooper still live made us think twice.

IMG_0365.jpg

The base buildings.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Motor pool.

IMG_0371.jpg

Anyway on to the real glory of the trip, the heavy bomber control tower. This was the ground floor relay room.

DSCF0924.jpg

DSCF0927.jpg

The fire station. The wind was moving the doors around and the sound permeated the entire tower scaring the crap out of us on more than one occasion.

DSCF0894-1.jpg

Nice to see yet more original equipment intact. This is the pumping equipment in the fire station.

DSCF0896.jpg

DSCF0895-1.jpg

Further up the tower, cracked paint and what we believe to be the compressor for a VERY loud siren.

DSCF0898.jpg

DSCF0899.jpg

The obs room. The wooden main console still exists though it lacks anything really cool.

DSCF0915.jpg

The jewel of the obs room is the runway lighting panel. This panel is largely intact although the local chavs have taken their toll on it.

DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg

The view from the obs room.

DSCF0922.jpg

DSCF0921.jpg

To finish, some exterior shots of the obs room.

DSCF0918.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

Well that's your lot. As one last safety note to any wishing to visit. The internal steps leading up to the obs room made some VERY distressing noises as we climbed them. For safeties sake use the external access across the roof which is easy to find atop the main staircase. I'd hate to revisit and find a collapsed ladder and a chalk outline. Also the wooden flooring on the third story of the building seems creaky and dodgy, skirt around the outside of the room if you want to enter, but to be honest there's nothing in there worth risking your life over.

The compressor thing - not sure about that. D D Lamson (now known as Barloworld) make those air tube things that you see in Sainsburys for taking cash from the checkouts to the accounts office, they have been doing that for years so it might be something along those lines.

some nice shots i was there yesterday !!!
ill stick a report up when i get back

The compressor thing - not sure about that. D D Lamson (now known as Barloworld) make those air tube things that you see in Sainsburys for taking cash from the checkouts to the accounts office, they have been doing that for years so it might be something along those lines.

We did think that as well but we can't see any other evidence of a vacuum tube system.

I love this place, shame to see develpoment is starting. Did you get to see the sports hall?

I love this place, shame to see develpoment is starting. Did you get to see the sports hall?

No the fences had encroached to much. It's not that I have an issue with going beyond the fences, it's just that last time we were there they had guys working even on Sunday and to be honest I didn't want to run into an angry builder as, from experience I know they tend to react less than favourably to guys with cameras and things wandering through a site. I'm planning one last visit so that'll probably be my foray into the halls and things. I wanted to see the tower, dome and hangers before risking getting caught.

Love the geese!

Incidentally, the hospital where I work has an extensive vacuum air tube system for shifting samples to the pathology labs. Every time somebody doesn't firmly close a bottle of wee or blood and it leaks they have to shut down the whole thing for decontamination! Just by the by.

A

No the fences had encroached to much. It's not that I have an issue with going beyond the fences, it's just that last time we were there they had guys working even on Sunday and to be honest I didn't want to run into an angry builder as, from experience I know they tend to react less than favourably to guys with cameras and things wandering through a site. I'm planning one last visit so that'll probably be my foray into the halls and things. I wanted to see the tower, dome and hangers before risking getting caught.

:lol: the domes where i got caught......:lol:

Was it this fencing around the site? if so its not changed for a while
IMG_5854.jpg

The compressor thing - not sure about that. D D Lamson (now known as Barloworld) make those air tube things that you see in Sainsburys for taking cash from the checkouts to the accounts office, they have been doing that for years so it might be something along those lines.[/QUOTE

nice photos mate.Here's a picture of a ww2 lamson tube system.

http://www.monkton-farleigh.co.uk/sc_rudloe3.htm

Ace report dude! And kudos for getting in :)

it'll probably pain you to know that when I went, there wasn't even an external fence, nor a door to the dome! :)

losttom: I too was caught in the dome. I was quacking. Y'know too see if a quack echoes? Slightly embarrising.

it'll probably pain you to know that when I went, there wasn't even an external fence, nor a door to the dome! :)

losttom: I too was caught in the dome. I was quacking. Y'know too see if a quack echoes? Slightly embarrising.

We seem to have been quite lucky, we were making a hell of a racket in that dome playing with the echoes. Hopefully my next visit will be as uneventful. I've got a nice list of places lined up for future reports to.

:mrgreen: haha, thats got to be a 'unique' situation to be caught in!!

:mrgreen: haha, thats got to be a 'unique' situation to be caught in!!

excellant report i have been trying to see a few views of thew cold war airfield tower light set up knwn as the a centre

b c ents were on each end of the runway

cheers

I really like derelict control towers - looks a great site with plenty to see :)

It is freakin' awesome. I go there quite a lot because its good practice for moving quietly and keeping out of site. I'd be happy to give a "tour" to anyone who comes to Norfolk and fancies a splore.

Latest posts

Back