Rampside Light House, Rampside, Cumbria, May 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scammell23

Reaction score
I found this interesting light house while working nearby. It was built between 1850 and 1870. This unusual tower, known locally as The Needle and is the only survivor of 13 range lights built on the approaches to Rampside and Barrow in the 1850-1870 period. Slated for demolition, it was saved after Rampside residents worked to have it listed as a historic structure. Good on them I say! Located on the shoreline at Rampside, just off the A5087 about 3 mile southeast of Barrow-in-Furness.
Enjoy :)

HPIM0958.png

HPIM0960.png

HPIM0962.png

HPIM0961.png

HPIM0964.png

HPIM0967.png

HPIM0965.png

Last edited:
oh sweet! never knew it was still standing! thought it had fell down/been ripped down :mad:

ask the local council for permission, say you'll give them all the photos you produce and they can use in records dept. usually works for things like this, or least, helps :)
you win, and they win as they then have a worthy photographic record of what was there (incase it falls down)

It looks quite interesting structurally, it seems really thin for a brick tower of that height!

Was looking at this with the G/F just the other night, would be good to get into it and have a look!

Will have to post some of my explores from the Barrow area, and my pics of the ROC post (that are currently on the database site at Subrit.

Latest posts

Back