Rednought Victorian Stormwater Drain, Bristol. Sept 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwdirtboy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Bristol's rednought Storm water drain is now largely redundant after the building of the Dreadnought storm water interceptor.. Now it only see's use during heavy rain and only takes its fill from the Malago stream and surrounding roads.
The drain is tidal as it empties into the tidal flow of the river Avon.. The large silt deposits are carried in during the tidal phase and with little flow from the Malago the silt builds up in large banks either side.

Plenty of life in the water, Tiny Elvers and adult Eels.. Sticklebacks and some kind of suckermouth catfish that I've not seen before? Next time I go I'm taking a net and bucket and will capture one to classify the species.

Whilst trying to identify the Catfish I came across this interesting article..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rican-armoured-fish-Leicestershire-canal.html

DSC_0243bcs.jpg

DSC_0232bcs.jpg

DSC_0231bcs.jpg

DSC_0234bcs.jpg

DSC_0229bcs.jpg

DSC_0230bcs.jpg

DSC_0228bcs.jpg

DSC_0225bcs.jpg

DSC_0224bcs.jpg

DSC_0222bcs.jpg

DSC_0216bcs.jpg

DSC_0218bcs.jpg

DSC_0217bcs.jpg

DSC_0221bcs.jpg

DSC_0226bcs.jpg

DSC_0220bcs.jpg

DSC_0237bcs.jpg

DSC_0245bcs.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

The photography is superb - I have to say I agree with Night Crawler about not wanting to fall over :) Its going to take more than Mr Muscle to clear that lot in the right hand drain in pic 14.

Great shots every one of them.
Shot three is a total mind-bender,and the last shot shows how close to the ole security guards turning up you must have come.
The Catfish I am very interested in,they have (and there are hundreds of different species of catfish) an amazing adaptibility to live in many different environments,I would love to see a picture of said 'fish' if you manage to capture one.
Erstwhile! many thanks for some cool shots of a hot place I would fear to venture...:)

Great report, beautifully lit. Loving some of the colours you get down there. I still can't get my head around number 3!

Latest posts

Back