Research Vessel Services, Barry Docks, South Wales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinnerman

Reaction score
Research vessel services was a refit and resupply base for the National Environment Research Councils fleet of four oceanographic research ships, RRS Discovery, RSS Challenger, RRS James Ross and RRS Charles Darwin. It opened in 1972 and serviced and maintained the fleet of ships for just over 13 years till it was closed in october 1995 when the support of the ships was transfered to the National Oceanographic Centre in Southampton. The ships of the NERC were involved in research projects all over the globe and the Barry base was responsible for planning the logistics and support for these long research voyages. Since the base was closed The building has sat derelict along the queyside of number 1 dock its is scheduled for demolition as the whole of Barry docks are being collonised by waterfront flat developments.

Visited with a friend from work

rvs01.jpg

rvs02.jpg

rvs03.jpg

rvs04.jpg

rvs05.jpg

rvs06.jpg

rvs07.jpg

rvs08.jpg

rvs09.jpg

Unlikely find of the day.
rvs10.jpg

rvs11.jpg

rvs12.jpg

rvs13.jpg

rvs14.jpg

rvs15.jpg

rvs16.jpg

rvs17.jpg

rvs18.jpg

rvs19.jpg

rvs20.jpg

Nice one. :) I would love the workbench in pic 11 for my garage! Dear knows why the Chuckle Brothers posters are in there.

Nice one. :) I would love the workbench in pic 11 for my garage! Dear knows why the Chuckle Brothers posters are in there.

The chuckle brothers are so bad they are hilarious. Well, I think they rock anyway. Nice explore this, I love owt to do with boats and ships.

Back