Rewley Road Swing Bdg Oxford

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi all ;
Just a quick one. Had to work thru all that gorgeous sunshine yesterday so was feeling a tad peeved,when i remembered this little beauty-so inbetween swopping trains at Oxford the camera was hastily summoned !!
Rewley Road swing bridge lies just to the north of the present Oxford stn-however this was not on the Great Western railway-this bridge was built as part of the LNWR route into Oxford from Bletchley and ran into a terminus stn directly opposite the present day one.It spans the Sheepwash channel,an ex navigable link between the river Thames and the Oxford Canal.The station (Rewley Road) was opened in 1851 and closed 100 yers later,but the bridge remained open until the early 1980's to serve a small freight yard.Since then it has lain derelict-but,presumably,a listed structure and only a couple of weeks ago was cleared of weeds.!! Not the easiest of structures to photograph,but,apparantly,a unique piece of railway history.!!
IMG_1730copy.jpg

IMG_1731copy.jpg

IMG_1741copy.jpg

IMG_1745copy.jpg

PS; All the above photos were taken on railway propoerty BUT it is easily photographed from a footbridge which crosses the channel just behind it !!

That's fascinating, but it looks as though it's falling to bits. What's the point in them clearing weeds off it if they're just leaving it to rot? It's too good for that. I hope something will be done about it.

AFAIK, I haven't seen a swing bridge before. That's really cool!
Lovely pics too, fluffly. Cheers. :)

Foxy here's another, probably the most famous swing bridge in the country (sorry if I'm wrong) Newcastles Swing Bridge. (with the Tyne bridge and Millenium bridges in the background)
swingbridge.jpg

Great photo's fluffy I've never seen a railway one before

Cheers, Jon. That's great. :)
I haven't seen that one before, but I realise now that I must have seen pics of others before. Doh! :confused::mrgreen:
It's me...I'm overtired! :lol:

Latest posts

Back