Rooftopping Stevenage - Sep '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Stevenage.
Famous birthplace of Lewis Hamilton, Rupert Grint, and home of UE-OMJ. But I’m not here for the A List glitz and glamour, I’m here to rooftop.

The more cynical among you may argue that Stevenage looks better in the dark. So I gave UE-OMJ a call and asked if he’d do me the pleasure of showing me the town by night.

We entered the building just before sunset. In fact we watched the sun set from the ground floor, then rushed up to the first floor and caught it again, then the second floor and so on, chasing it all the way to the 8th floor.

Ground Floor:
IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

I’m probably getting vainer in my old age, or maybe it was the plain building, but I seem to have a lot of self portraits from this one!

Here’s me and a window: (upper floor)
IMG_0720.jpg

When we were about half way up UE-OMJ mentioned “You know I got busted by the cops last time I was here right?”

Nope I didn’t. But it’s easy to see why - here’s the Police Station with a perfect view of our rooftop antics.

IMG_0746.jpg

Stevenage:
IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0744-BW.jpg

There’s something strangely satisfying being right under the CCTV:
IMG_0781.jpg

On ur roofz drinkin ma beerz:
IMG_0778.jpg

Stevenage College:
IMG_0760.jpg

YMCA fail:
IMG_0776.jpg

Sometimes people install an owl on their roofs to keep birds away. Fujitsu have installed a statue of UrbanX to keep the local secca away.
IMG_0764.jpg

There was a raised bit of roof where the roof access was which was higher than where we were taking photos from. So I decided this would be where I do my ‘X’ from. As I couldn’t make it up there in under 10 sec’s I asked OMJ to hit the shutter as I was going up. I crested over the ridge and struck the pose. Standing still for 2.5 seconds while the shutter was open I looked down, only to realise I was now above the police station! I could see officers at their desks working below! If they looked up now they would clearly see me silhouetted against the night sky!

IMG_0741.jpg

Time to make a move. Cheers for looking.
Massive thanks to UE-OMJ for an ace night out.

Blimey dude change your mobile provider your txt about being on a stevenage roof got to me a few days ago and you did it last year :) nice shot dude....

Fantastic shots there :) I still think we must have been really obvious to anyone glancing up, especially with bambii taking a photo with her iPhone from the roof and having the flash go off!!!

A few of mine....

Some of the machinery in the roof

1c.jpg

2c.jpg

Waching the sun set...

3c.jpg

4c.jpg

5c.jpg

A left behind PC... One of the very few bits remaining in here.

6c.jpg

If it wasnt chavvy Stevenage, and if we werent in full view of the police station, it would almost be romantic!

7c.jpg

Wicked shots dude put mine to shame! Thanks again for showing me round! Makes up for scaring the crap out of me in the car park.
I'll try and get some video up soon but don have enough for a full vid!

If it wasnt chavvy Stevenage, and if we werent in full view of the police station, it would almost be romantic
Cheers dude, feel the same :p

Wicked shots dude put mine to shame!

Quote:
If it wasnt chavvy Stevenage, and if we werent in full view of the police station, it would almost be romantic

Cheers dude, feel the same :p

Haha, I suddenly feel the need to point out that the couple in my last photo isnt me and UrbanX :p

Cheers for being nice about the pics, but really yours are always a million times better :)

Fantastic pics both! I need to get on some rooftops, looks like a good one to start off with ;-)

Why is it that in most places the fire extinguishers are always grouped together?

Wow,

That looks so cool, aerial views make any place look good in my opinion.

Not been to Stevenage for a very long time so I'm not going to criticse it... ;)

Also like the story of the flash that must of been a heart dropping moment. The nuclear flashover has gone off and everyone in Stevenage knows we're here now! I think I would have been a little paranoid for a while after until I was on the roof with a good vantage point of the lay of the land below! :lol:

As for you running up the pitch roof to the ridge, that takes some balance and balls! :) My hat is doffed in respect to you all!

I prefer the building where they have no extinguishers left, they must think they are invicible to fire!

C

Latest posts

Back