Rowanburn Mines

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently found these mines near the village of Rowanburn.
I have heard conflicting reports of what used to be mined here Limestone, Salt and Coal.
I plan on going further into these mines once i get some better lighting gear.
DSC_0019.png

DSC_0023.png

DSC_0047.png

i would guess limestone personally.

Do let us know what you find when you go back!

A quick Yahoo suggests that it's coal although it doesn't look especially coal mineish to me. If you do go down and it is a coal mine beware of bad air. It's been mentioned a few times on here.

But like sheep21 suggests it looks more limestone than coal.

Looks like it suffers from periodic flooding by the amount of what appears to be silt in the tunnels...

be careful

The construction is interesting Do you have grid ref for this maybe? If its Cumbria it could be Zinc,lead,Iron, Barytes, limestone as the guys have suggested etc. There was a lot of barytes mines over that way though it looks a bit old to be one of those.

Would be very interested to see more from here if you get further in :)

Edit: sorry, I guess its Rowanburn in Dumfriesshire, not another place I was thinking of in Cumbria.

Last edited:
Looks like limestone to me,the ceiling is interesting looks like a conglomerate of some sort.I doubt it floods as I can't see any tide marks on the walls.

But what filled the tunnels with such a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of dirt? Not saying they flood regularly but seems they have in the past? Meh, im not an expert :)

Nice one. :)

I'm really tempted to visit this one. BigLoada - fancy it??

Back