Royal Ordnance Factory Bishopton, near Glasgow - Early 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might also be of interest - before ROF Bishopton, the southern part of the site was called Georgetown - it was a WWI filling factory, also called the Scottish Filling Factory (SFF). Very little remains, but I found a book of the staff magazine, and I've also mapped the factory.

Map available here:
http://www.catchingphotons.co.uk/Georgetown_SFF.kmz

I can only echo other peoples sentiments on a truly magnificent report i think we are running out of superlatives on that.10/10 well done!!:)probably the best report ive seen so far on D.P.thanks

Very impressive report, pics and information, excellent welld one and thanks for sharing love places like this.

An aerial view from last week -

225.jpg

Very nice :)

Bottom centre is the Factory I Nitrocellulose section, with the Acids section to the right. The blue building is the Factory II boiler house - right of that is White Phosphorus filling, then the Combustible Charge Container section. You can just about see Dargavel House in the middle of the trees in the centre.

For a refreshing change, the hugely overused phrase 'Excellent report, mate' seems an understatement!
hard to believe the size of the area that place covers, thanks for showing us, and finding out the details of the processes and workings of the place, very interesting stuff ;)

That looks like a fantastic site much better than my local ROF. Nice photos and report to.

Thanks for the excellent satellite view with the highly detailed descriptions for the purposes of the buildings once there. And for the layout of the railway lines within the factory. There are other versions of the layout - standard gauge and 30 inch narrow gauge - on Flickr, along with photos taken inside the factory. Part of the reason for the area the factory covered would have been the protective banks of earth between the buildings in case of an explosion in one of them. Such an explosion occurred in 1956 - in peacetime.

Latest posts

Back