Scraptoft Hall - Leicestershire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purchase

I would like to purchase Scraptoft Hall. I am a descendant of the family who built the home. I live in Birmingham, AL and am interested in moving to Scraptoft.

I would like to purchase Scraptoft Hall. I am a descendant of the family who built the home. I live in Birmingham, AL and am interested in moving to Scraptoft.

are you a troll or bot ?
if not well done if you do as in a very bad way inside but a nice looking place none the less and could be a very nice place with a lot of money spent on it
have you posted a new member thread yet as be nice to know some info on you like interests etc
take care dave

heres a little bit of history robbed from one of the big G,s reports
Scraptoft lies four miles east of Leicester on the western slopes of the east Leicestershire uplands, but by the 1930's the western part of the ancient parish was rapidly becoming part of the suburbs of Leicester. The most important domestic building in the village is Scraptoft Hall, which, in its present form, dates largely from the early 18th century. James Wigley, the Leicester M.P. laid out the park which, at the end of the 18th century, covered about 100 a. and attracted visitors from Leicester. After 1765 the property was held by theHartopp-Wigley family who lived in Little Dalby, and the house was let. In 1787 it was leased as a furnished hunting-box to Eliab Harvey of Chigwell (Essex). In 1790 it was occupied by a retired London businessman named Wilson, and was afterwards the home of Thomas Paget of Ibstock. At the end of the 19th century James Burns Hartopp inherited the estate through his wife and came to live at the hall; after his death the house was bought by Alfred Corah, of a Leicester hosiery firm, whose father had been the tenant in 1850. Corah died in 1924 and the house and grounds were later sold to B. W. Cole. The hall and the adjoining land were bought by Leicester Corporation in 1954 as the site for new buildings for the city's teachers' training college; the hall became the principal's residence. The main buildings for the training college, designed by Bridgwater and Shepheard, of London, were begun to the east of the house in 1958 and completed in 1960. Additional hostels were in course of construction in 1961. In 1962 work commenced on the internal demolition of the hall in preparation for a renovation scheme. Eventually the hall was taken over by Leicester Polytechnic and became 'Scraptoft Campus'. This in turn was later taken over by De Montfort University, but closed in 2003.

nice to meet you too:)

Trust me you really don't want to move to this country, i'd love to get out of here before things get any worse.

Theres very little left of the hall apart from the external walls and a few original features, most of the interiors have been ripped out. It could be returned to its former glory, but it would cost a hell of a lot of money. Also the land which went with it is now covered in new houses occupied by idiots! This is yet another chunk of Leiceser's heritage wrecked thanks to the evil De Montfort University, who sold it for £1.2million (not including the rest of the grounds presumably)! It changed hands again last year with plans to convert it into a retirement home, but English Heritage keep blocking the development plans cos they are idiots. The development company said there was a "history of neglect and lack of respect by a number of past owners including De Montfort University", which is quite right. Why on earth English Heritage continue to kick a fuss up about it being converted is beyond me, internally it is made up of mostly chipboard and plasterboard ffs!!

I used to visit the Scraptoft campus regularly during 1991/92, as my girlfriend at the time was a student there.

There were halls of residence as well as a reasonable size college building, has all this been demolished now, leaving only the hall?

I used to visit the Scraptoft campus regularly during 1991/92, as my girlfriend at the time was a student there.

There were halls of residence as well as a reasonable size college building, has all this been demolished now, leaving only the hall?

Yeah I had a wander around there about 2004 or 2005 and they were starting to strip it out then. Its all crappy houses there now full of stuck up idiots!

Last edited:
Yeah I had a wander around there about 2004 or 2005 and they were starting to strip it out then. Its all crappy houses there now full of stuck up idiots!

lol very true i got asked what i was doing by one of them walking there dogs across the land,

Latest posts

Back