Seatown. Abandoned "Village", Aberdeenshire.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seahorse

Grumpy auld mod.
Reaction score
With a couple of hours to spare after my visit to the nearby coastguard cottages at Rattray Head, I thought I'd pop on over to visit Seatown. I was last here when I were just a nipper, so probably 30 odd years ago. There was still the remains of roofs back then, but otherwise the only thing that has changed is the addition of a couple of caravans. More about those later. ;)

There was a harbour of sorts in this area, until a huge storm in the 1720's closed it off by blocking it in with sand. A ship laden with slate was trapped in the harbour, never to sail the open sea again. And so was born the Loch of Strathbeg.

That was the end of fishing here, until Rattray Estates built a new village, Seatown of Rattray, in 1795. By 1803, there were a few fishermen and sundry other locals. It gained a reputation as being a harsh and unforgiving place to scrape a living, and unofficially became known as Botany, so named after the recently founded penal colony in Botany Bay, in Australia.

After 100 or so years, folks had had enough, and so it was abandoned in the early to mid 1900's. Only to have someone move back in the late 20th century. ;)

The village, seen from Rattray coastguard cottages...
3553795421_f597ebe676_o.jpg

A bit closer...
3553798035_d50897df4a_o.jpg

Water would have been hard to come by. But needs must...
3554604552_5caf77f793_o.jpg

First cottage. And rather more recent additions. I'll get to those in a moment..
3554604780_67be4030b6_o.jpg

These things get everywhere...
3553801893_273f5377d3_o.jpg

What a lot of bottles. WHisky bottles, mostly...
3554605598_866203030a_o.jpg

Good grief!!!
3553799753_f2381271d8_o.jpg

I'm beginning to sense a pattern here. And the fumes have knocked me over... :D
3554606742_1e54bbd33f_o.jpg

Steptoe and Son, eat yer heart out...
3554607556_15e8096660_o.jpg

"Modern" accommodations...
3554607294_3e2964a9eb_o.jpg

It's not the dogs I'm worried about. Botulism, bubonic plague, and any other number of nasty infections spring readily to mind...
3554608238_ddc9583c33_o.jpg

Inside the "workshop"...
3554608424_3698d117c5_o.jpg

You need to bear in mind, the main source of power appears to have been an almost endless supply of car batteries...
3554608674_5b06cc8b44_o.jpg

And possibly a wind turbine at some point...
3553800945_ef7cd7b6c4_o.jpg

Unbelievably sad that a human being used to live here...
3553803017_bf3dfb5f9c_o.jpg

Ah, right. The dogs to beware of. I just got really depressed with this. He had pics of his canine buddies all around the walls. :(
3553803173_265b949f7f_o.jpg

Goes some way to date the occupation...
3553803289_15ce1ded92_o.jpg

But the milk carton seems to indicate he lived here for at least 10 years...
3554609804_c599c4e153_o.jpg

Right, that just got too depressing. And smelly. On we go. On to the other cottages...
3553804017_3153603080_o.jpg

3553804955_e5b338cd77_o.jpg

3553805125_cbc421dd32_o.jpg

How clever! A pillbox built into the ruin. :)
3553805655_4d2674b1b9_o.jpg

3554611510_1b398b2443_o.jpg

3554612054_a88ca7ebe2_o.jpg

3554612896_a601c6223e_o.jpg

As an aside, I took a wee wander down to the beach, passing this on the way...
3553807661_999b160446_o.jpg

I don't normally move stuff. But in this case, I was curious to see what the name was on the bottle. John Campbell. Now I need to know what was in it. And from what era... :mrgreen:
3554614180_0988b20a95_o.jpg

And finally. Does anybody have any idea what the heck this might be?????
3554599006_f99781cd59_o.jpg

Last photo looks like a fairly standard steel boat fender

Another very interesting report. Thanks for posting.

Last photo looks like a fairly standard steel boat fender

Another very interesting report. Thanks for posting.

Ah, yes. Steel boat fender. :)

I'll just have to take your word for that. It's good to know there are knowledgable peeps about to help us mental midgets. :D

What a curious place! Old man with dogs, drinks himself silly whilst looking for water to make cement....

It is a sad place though and I bet it has a great story to tell. Do you know who it belongs to?

A great write up and a fascinating place. Thanks for sharing. :)

Wow! Great read and great pics.

Your heart must have been thumping wandering about there. Looks well creepy!

Mad to think anyone could live like that.

Nice! Did it smell of poo? Did the carton have any milk in it?

No, not poo. I haven't shown the pics of the floor. Well, I'm sure there was a floor under the pile of shite, mostly consisting of empty dog food tins. Which is where the smell came from. I didn't dare touch the milk carton. :D

In a continual alcoholic haze, I suspect LM. Poor chap. :(

Other items in there seem to indicate that he was actively looking for work though. And judging by some of the stuff lying around, and the fact that it appears to have come from Thainstone auctions, I suspect he may have been trying to make ends meet in other ways. Bits of tellys, radios and computers along with some of the companies he had jotted down as potential makes me think he must have been quite a clever chap.

What really annoyed me was the letter saying that deductions were going to be made from his benefits for arrears of council tax. Feckin council tax!!!!! He lived in a hovel with no sanitation, running water or electricity, no refuse collection, and I suspect if he needed the emergency services, he'd have been screwed!!!

Barstewards. :mad:

For obvious reasons, I've not posted any pics that could identify him. Even if he's not still alive, he may have relatives, and the last thing I want to do is upset them if he has.

In a continual alcoholic haze, I suspect LM. Poor chap. :(

Other items in there seem to indicate that he was actively looking for work though. And judging by some of the stuff lying around, and the fact that it appears to have come from Thainstone auctions, I suspect he may have been trying to make ends meet in other ways. Bits of tellys, radios and computers along with some of the companies he had jotted down as potential makes me think he must have been quite a clever chap.

What really annoyed me was the letter saying that deductions were going to be made from his benefits for arrears of council tax. Feckin council tax!!!!! He lived in a hovel with no sanitation, running water or electricity, no refuse collection, and I suspect if he needed the emergency services, he'd have been screwed!!!

Barstewards. :mad:

For obvious reasons, I've not posted any pics that could identify him. Even if he's not still alive, he may have relatives, and the last thing I want to do is upset them if he has.

Shitty old Caravan, but I hav seen quite a lot just the same as that down here Seahorse. Love the Pillbox built into the cottage though. Great shots mate.

Interesting bit of history there about Rattary Head, you learn something new every day :) the caravan reminds me of when my friend bought a house in Aberdeenshire in the same state - the previous owners idea was obviously to renovate the place to live in - then the plan must have gone a bit squew wiff, they sold the slates from the steading, to try and gain money to renovate the house and it went downhill from there, selling other bits and pieces till they had to sell the whole lot for a song - the mail and bills told a sad story. My mate ended up with a lovely traditonal croft house, the bottom half of a steading, caravans and half a house full of shyte. Fantastic family home now but it was sad to see the evidence of somebody desperately trying to hold it together.

I did wonder about holiday cottages Sal, as the old lighthouse keepers cottages nearby have been turned into B&B accommodation. Right on the sand dunes, lovely and secluded, yet close enough to civilisation for your material needs. Bliss. :)

Until the winter that is. :(

I did wonder about holiday cottages Sal, as the old lighthouse keepers cottages nearby have been turned into B&B accommodation. Right on the sand dunes, lovely and secluded, yet close enough to civilisation for your material needs. Bliss. :)

Until the winter that is. :(

Nah ONE cottage, so theres no one else around!

Oh and whatever happened to living INSIDE the lighthouse?

it looks class...

We all know what happened to Tyrol then... (Battlestar galactica fans will know what i'm on about) :mrgreen:

Back