Severn Estuary defence misc

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy5518

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Popped over the old Severn Bridge a couple of days ago to try and find a couple of unusual defence structures shown on the D/O/B overlay for Google Earth.Unfortunately didn't have a lot of luck though as the Sat-Nav in my mates car was suffering a bout of forgetfulness and i never had the relevent OS map !! D'oh !!
First calling point was Undy.!!! The bloody sat nav had never even heard of this place but believe me it exists-Good ol'IKB even drove his Great Western Rly through the place.This little baby is the Coastal Observation Post on the banks of the Severn.S0003162.
IMG_5074copy.jpg

IMG_5077copy.jpg

Next up was a dash over to Sudbrook-home of the Water Pumping Stn for the Severn Tunnel.This turned out to be slightly disappointing as S0015491 turned out to be this....
IMG_5081copy.jpg

....not particularly photogenic i think you'll agree !!To be fair you could crawl into it from the other side and it looks like an identical obs post to the one at Undy.BUT it is located next to the local playing fields so why havent the locals dug it out a bit !! I would have.Whats wrong with kids today eh !!
Had a bit more luck at Lydney,situated on the former Harbour branch railway is this variant,S0008359 to be precise.A sort of small type 27 witout the central gun well.It has a crawl in entry which is protected by a concrete block blast wall.

IMG_5088copy.jpg

IMG_5098copy.jpg

IMG_5100copy.jpg

Well thats about it-sorry there isn't any more but i have sniffed out a few more locations and will hopefully get back soon to do the biz !!!

Very interesting OP's fluffy. It's nice to see something different. Did the type 27 variant still have a room in the middle?

Good pics Fluff. Have you got any pics of the back of that top one? Its just that there is one that looks like the second one near me, but I'm not sure if its the same thing. Seeing the back of it might help.
GDZ

Back