shaft and drains below bathpool park , Kidsgrove

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyj23uk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
hi - just watching a documentary on the crimes of the ` black panther `

and my UE ears pricked up when mention was made of the dicovery of one of his victims in a sfaft / tunnel network below bathpool park

has any one explored these features ? - they look VERY interesting - a 20m deep vertical shaft and tunnels

searching ` bathpool ` both here and at 28dl returns no results - so it could be a virgin system

anyone therabouts ever looked into it ?

hi - just watching a documentary on the crimes of the ` black panther `

and my UE ears pricked up when mention was made of the dicovery of one of his victims in a sfaft / tunnel network below bathpool park

has any one explored these features ? - they look VERY interesting - a 20m deep vertical shaft and tunnels

searching ` bathpool ` both here and at 28dl returns no results - so it could be a virgin system

anyone therabouts ever looked into it ?
Just watching it mate! Don't forget it might be a bit of a spooky one. The lass was strangled to death down there :eek:

Down a manhole in Bathpool Park, 62 ft. underground, Lesley Whittle was kept clamped in a wire noose on an iron platform designed for workmen, next to the drainage system of a disused underground canal tunnel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On 17th March police began searching Bathpool Park and when an officer entered the sewer at 415pm he found Lesley's body hanging in the underground cell.

The stream in Bathpool as with all other streams disappears into an underground drainage system.

There is evidence of early coal mining on the eastern flanks of the valley close to the south end of Bathpool.

28 days later archive link: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18481

All sounds very interesting, not the noose or murder part obviously.

JD

The report linked above ^ isn't part of Bathpool Drains. It's in the same area though. The drains are in Bathpool Park, Kidsgrove. They were doable last time I checked (last year)

The report linked above ^ isn't part of Bathpool Drains. It's in the same area though. The drains are in Bathpool Park, Kidsgrove. They were doable last time I checked (last year)

The report makes mention of them:

"On a more sinister side Bathpool Park and the darainage tunnels are the scene of the Lesley Whittle murder committed by the Black Panther. Lesley Whittle was abducted from her home in Wolverhampton and she was tied up naked on a landing between ladders. A ransom was demanded and when her father came to pay it unfortunately he drove into the park on a foggy morning and didn't see anybody despite driving around and around. For some reason the Black Panther found out that he was about to be trapped by the Police and in a rage and most callously kicked Lesley Whittle (who was still tied up and had a noose around her neck) off the landing platform. The Black Panther is still in Prison (or at least was last time I heard)."

Hence the reason for posting.

JD

Ooooooohhhhh :D

And I was stupid enough to think Stoke wasn't going to throw up any more stuff. This sounds absolutely fascinating. May be driving past/doing stuff around there this weekend, will certainly have a look if I do.

It's most probably part of the Fowlea Brook from what I can tell, there's already 5 explored drains along it's route plus at least one other unexplored one. Can it really get any better!

The shaft was known locally as the Glory Hole, I have a diagram in a real crime bindermag I can scan & upload.

Hi,

I moved to the area recently also saw the documentary and decided to have a mooch around. Unfortunately, whilst I found the abandonded railway tunnel (just to the right of the car park) I couldn't seem to find any of the drainage shafts. Are these any where near the tunnel? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Simon

Here's a cutaway of the glory hole:

2437314200_92519cdbe0_b.jpg

By the way what's happened to the image hosting here?

Check out that stealth ninja manhole popping! It's funny that they show a hinged triangle lid too, they are really common in Stoke and less so elsewhere it seems!

I think oxygen thief and someone else did the abandoned tunnel a while back on 28d. Apparently there was pretty shitty air down there. I'm hopefully finally dragging ddt down to stoke kicking and screaming soon so fingers crossed!

Lets have a bit of respect for the dead please.

I believe he is expressing his barred up state because of the tunnel, not wacking it to the strung up body - which I presume has been moved to a suitable burial location where you can go and pay your respects.

LM, the weekend approaches...

Last edited:
Check out that stealth ninja manhole popping! It's funny that they show a hinged triangle lid too, they are really common in Stoke and less so elsewhere it seems!

There's a few triangular manhole covers in & around Stockport, though I guess they lift out rather than hinge.

Latest posts

Back