Sharpness Canal Dredging Gear.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Some pics of the kit for pumping out mud barges on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, the mud is pumped back into River Severn.
Most of this kit has now been sold off and they just blow the mud in the general direction of the sea lock at
Sharpness.

IMG_1068.png

IMG_1069.png

IMG_1054.png

Mud dilution jet and pump intake.
IMG_1067.png

V4 diesel.
PaxmanV4.png

Engine starting air bottles.
StartingAir.png

Dilution water pump.
IMG_1071.png

Last edited:
That looks like a cool piece of machinery. Is it still working? It would be cool to see it when it's running and belching mud out.

Dredging Kit.

That looks like a cool piece of machinery. Is it still working? It would be cool to see it when it's running and belching mud out.

I think it has all been sold off, the canal no longer takes any large shipping that requires the 10 foot depth it was dredged to.(All to do with cuts at DEFRA, I think).

I,ll upload a few more pics when time permits.

Dredging Kit.

The last of the pics.

Tugs for mud barges.
Tugs.png

One of two Lister 6 cylinder propulsion engines.
Lister6Cyl.png

Engine room.
IMG_1066.png

Towing hook.
IMG_1055.png

Wheelhouse.
IMG_1053.png

Unpowered mud barges.
IMG_1051.png

IMG_1044.png

Last edited:
Nice, I love boats of any kind. The machinery is pretty cool aso is that wheel. You have been busy getting out and about recently:)

Dredging Kit

Nice, I love boats of any kind. The machinery is pretty cool aso is that wheel. You have been busy getting out and about recently:)

Thanks, the pics are from 2006/7, I'll see if I can dig up some more.

Large bit of machinery, the fence is 2 metres high, 42 inch delivery, 5 cubic metres per second.

IMG_1096.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back