Site of Crystal Palace, Sydenham, London

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smashing stuff Lifebuoy. I work just down the road from here and I never realised there was so much of it left. As an aisde, when it burnt down in th 1930s, my grandfather was living in a small village called Partridge Green which is situated between Horsham and Brighton. When he heard on the radio that the Palace was burning, him and a friend cycled up to a place called Chanctonbury Ring (one of the highest points on the South Downs) and sat up all night watching the palace burn. At a conservative guess they were at least 35 miles away, which gives you some idea of how big the fire was.:exclaim:

such an incredible lack of care shown by B.B.C, this is an amazing ite, I never knew there was so much still there!

Only the Transmitter Compound is owned by the BBC -the rest is in the "care" of Bromley Council. You are right though -a worrying disregard for Public Opinion and Public Open Space :neutral:

Lightbuoy said:
IMG_3379.png

Wow, this instantly says, come on in :p

wow!! there are loads of photos to look at here.:lol: I was going to go and visit
this sight when I was in London recently but ran out of time.
Is there not meant to be an old dinosaur park or something beside this sight
which was also used for the great exhibtion???

Good work though...keep it up:)

Thank you SC.
You are quite right SC -as AHM says, the Dinosaurs are still there (hopefully in reasonable condition), but looking at the condition of the terracing, I'm not holding out much hope. Perhaps someone else has seen these recently and could pop-up some pics if available :)

my pics are still loading to pbucket [thr whole days album thanks to the small genius of my 15 month old who selected all, something ive not yet managed to figure out.

ill post some dino pics as theyre all part of the place and history.

if they ever load up.

while i wait im watching 'snakes on a train' [yes train] on zone horror. such cheese.

wiki ives the 'story' of the railway.

went there today with the kids, absoluetely knackered and need to go back without them for further exploring as only did thet terraces with them. saw th dinos and farm, currently uploading to p/bucket

Cool -I look forward to seeing your take :)

As for the Railway and Station, one of the two is still open (think it's the Crystal Palace Low Level), with the High Level being the one closed and sadly demo'd years ago. The disused Tunnel still exists, as does both Portals. The site of the Turntable is still there too, just below the end of Crystal Palace Parade, close to the base of the south Water Tower.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/c/crystal_palace_subway/index.shtml

There was a "crash" of sorts some 5 or so years ago, when a Double-Decker bus lost control and crashed through a brick wall next to the disused Tunnel Portal, landing on its' roof. Amazingly, no-one was seriously injured or killed on the bus.

ive probably already said, [ive been stressed with children not wanting to go to bed this evening] but found what seems to be the remnants of a train track of sorts, but more your small kiddies sized train. my daughter spotted it, id just have walked over it if it wasnt for her.

Latest posts

Back