Southam Cement Works - September 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Southam Cement Works 09/09/07

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

now it makes sence, you gotta say it a lil faster in a west country half pissed on cider accent :mrgreen:

photos

Went back on at the weekend - beautiful morning so no excuse for sh*t photos this time. Visit curtailed by puncture on bike unfortunately.

Log book in maintenance workshop

101_0744.jpg

Very very big building. About 100m from one end to the other

101_0745.jpg

um - switchgear

101_0746.jpg

sand hopper. looks like they just switched it off, went home and never came back

101_0747.jpg

conveyer that took the sand up to the 'very big building'

101_0749.jpg

serious bit of kit that drove the fans I think. Reminds me of something out of Phantom of the Opera for some reason

101_0748.jpg

generator of some sort

101_0753.jpg

general shot of site

101_0751.jpg

place is so big you could spend a whole day there.

more pics here - including one of an orchid for all you wildlife lovers

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/borntobemild/southam/

Borntobemild the site is definately a haven for wildlife, I saw deer around the back of the site once.
That pic of the cat owning the machine is adorable:)

Went back last weekend and took a few more pics.

Lots of changes have taken place over the summer, with a number of buildings demolished or buried in spoil.
The owners (Cemex) have a couple of Planning Applications out for the site and they seem to be 'tidying' it up.

Great shame.

southam2007.jpg

southam2006.jpg

southam2010.jpg

southam2005.jpg

southam2011.jpg

southam2009.jpg

more pics here

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/borntobemild/southam2/

Went past here today and noticed they have demolished some settlement tanks on the northern side of the disused railway line!!!! If you look at Borntobemilds 5th picture from the top this was the tank with the green coloured water in it.
IMG_2221.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Went back (again) at the weekend. The place is so big, I always find a bit I haven't been in before. The two big settlement tanks on the other side of the railway have gone now. Not much further demolition, and security seems to have eased off.
It hasn't rained for a month here so everywhere was nice and dry. So dry that i could taste the dust in my mouth as i walked around.

Makes a big difference. Cement dust not good when wet.

Some of the equipment in there looks incredibly sophisticated. Obviously making cement is more complicated than just heating up a bit of limestone with a bit of sand.

new and old

southam006.jpg

no idea what this was for

southam001.jpg

large hadron collider

southam007.jpg

couple of shots from the structure right next to the chimney

southam012.jpg

southam016.jpg

that's a lot of volts

southam013.jpg

hope these don't hold spent nuclear fuel

southam017.jpg

i arrived about 8:00 on a beautiful sunny morning. About an hour later a thick fog had enveloped the whole site. Quite spooky really. Took this shot of the chimney as i was leaving.

southam019.jpg

Back